Vegetarian Slow Cooker Lasagna Soup made with whole wheat noodles, vegetarian crumbles, zucchini, spinach, and a rich tomato broth is delicious, filling, and made in the crockpot for an easy meal.
Vegetarian Slow Cooker Lasagna Soup takes all the flavor of lasagna and combines them in a hearty, easy to make soup that your whole family will love.
Lasagna is one of our favorite meatless meals but sometimes I just don't have to time to put together each individual layer, saute all the veggies, and wait for it to bake in the oven. Instead many times I will make this lasagna soup instead. It has all the same great flavors but it is about one-tenth of the work. Everything is dumped into the slow cooker and in four hours you have a delicious, rich broth. To that, you add whole wheat noodles, zucchini, and spinach. Delish.
This lasagna soup recipe uses vegetarian crumbles, but there are tons of other options as well. You could use skip it altogether or you could add a can of white beans or chickpeas instead. You could also add a heartier vegetable like sweet potatoes or butternut squash.
For many people, lasagna isn't lasagna without some cheese. Depending on your preferences, I highly recommend serving this with some mozzarella or ricotta cheese scooped on top. For the ricotta, I love mixing in some fresh basil before adding it to the soup. It melts into the soup and is so so good.
Recipe Ideas Vegetarian Crockpot Lasagna Soup
- Zucchini and spinach are normally my go-to vegetables for lasagna but almost any vegetable will work in this soup. You could use broccoli, cauliflower, kale, butternut squash, or summer squash. Mushrooms are another really awesome addition.
- To truly make this a lasagna soup, you'll want to add some cheese! For a traditional route, add a big scoop of ricotta with some fresh basil mixed in. You can also use shredded or fresh mozzarella, Parmesan cheese, and some people even like cottage cheese.
- If you like things spicy, add some red pepper flakes in the mix. Some people like to add Calabrian chile peppers as well.
- To deepen the flavor, saute the onions and garlic before adding them to the slow cooker. You can also use extra garlic if you like lots of garlic flavor.
- This soup freezes really well so don't be worried about it being a large recipe. However, you may want to cook the noodles separately if you plan on freezing it.
- Make this soup creamy by stirring in some reduced fat cream cheese. This is so good and so easy.
- Add some bright flavors by topping the soup with freshly chopped basil or parsley.
Can I freeze lasagna soup?
This soup does freeze well but it is worth noting that the pasta will become softer when it is reheated. One way to combat this if you know you want to freeze the soup is to prepare it without the lasagna noodles. Then when you are ready to serve the soup, cook the lasagna noodles separately and then simply add them to the soup. This ensures that you don't end up with soggy or mushy pasta.
Can I use a different type of pasta?
Lasagna soup works with virtually any type of pasta. Lasagna noodles keep the traditional feeling but you can make this with ziti, penne, shells, bow tie pasta, anything you like. It works with regular or whole wheat pasta.
Ideas for Making this Vegetarian Lasagna Soup Lighter
Although this soup is already light and healthy, there are ways to kick this up even more. From adding more veggies, swapping in beans, and just be aware of the ingredients you are choosing.
- Swap in zucchini noodles or spaghetti squash for all of some of the lasagna noodles.
- Try using a plant-based pasta made with chickpeas or lentils. However, since these can be harder to cook, cook them separately to make sure they don't overcook and get mushy.
- Choose a no sugar added marinara or use canned tomato sauce and add Italian seasoning for flavor. Many store-bought sauces have a lot of added sugar.
- Instead of using vegetarian crumbles, use Italian white beans or chickpeas. They are packed with plant-based proteins and fiber.
- Add some cauliflower rice to thicken the soup without needing extra pasta.
Vegetarian Slow Cooker Lasagna Soup
- Print Recipe
- Download PDF
- 1 lb. vegetarian crumbles
- 1 onion, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 28 oz. canned crushed tomatoes (ideally San Marzano)
- 16 oz. marinara sauce (no sugar added)
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 10 whole wheat lasagna noodles (or regular)
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 6 oz. fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper
Like this Recipe? Try our Meal Plans!
- Weekly Meal Plans
- Easy Shopping List
- Healthy, Low Carb, & Vegetarian
- Nutritional Information
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.