Bistec Ranchero is a mouth-watering dish made with sirloin steak, potatoes, and peppers in a slightly spicy tomato sauce. Serve this Mexican-inspired entree alongside tortillas or rice for the ultimate easy weeknight dinner!
If you’re looking for a healthy weeknight dinner that guarantees to impress your family, then you need this Steak Ranchero in your life. This Mexican-inspired recipe is made with fork-tender sirloin, potatoes, onions, and peppers, all tossed in a flavorful tomato sauce. It’s wholesome, easy to make, and absolutely bursting with flavor.
Let’s be real, are there any meat lovers out there who wouldn’t drool over the classic steak and potatoes combo? Think of this delicious meal as the Mexican version.
This dish can be prepared from start to finish in under 40 minutes making it the perfect entree for weeknight meals and dinner parties alike.
I love serving it alongside toppings like fresh avocado, sliced jalapenos, and cilantro, then packing everything into some warm tortillas. You could also serve it over rice, cauliflower rice, black beans, or refried beans.
This homemade Steak Ranchero is a favorite in my household (even the girls love it!), so I know it’s going to be a hit for you too.
Bistec Ranchero Ingredients
To make this healthy weeknight dinner, you will need the following key ingredients:
- Sirloin steak. Steak is the main ingredient of this classic Mexican dish. I prefer to use lean sirloin steak, but flank steak or ribeye will also work well. Just make sure you slice the meat nice and thin.
- Potatoes. You can use any kind of potatoes you like. I prefer Yukon gold or red potatoes.
- Onions and peppers. You will need an onion, along with poblano pepper and jalapeno pepper. These add tons of flavor to the dish but feel free to remove the jalapeno seeds for less heat.
- Tomatoes. To form the tomato base of this dish, I like to use a combination of fresh Roma tomatoes and canned tomato sauce. Feel free to add canned diced tomatoes if you don’t have any fresh tomatoes on hand.
- Spices. I like to keep things simple with salt, pepper, and cumin. If you want a little extra flavor or heat, feel free to add smoked paprika, chili powder, or cayenne pepper.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
Here are my top tips and tricks to help you make a mouth-watering dish:
- Switch up the meat. While you can switch up the cut of beef you use to make this dish, you can also change the type of meat. Chicken thighs and pork tenderloin both work great as well.
- Spice things up. If the poblano and jalapeno peppers aren’t spicy enough for you, try adding 1-2 chipotle peppers to the mix. You could also add serrano peppers or hot sauce.
- Add more veggies. Looking for a veggie-packed meal? Feel free to add some additional vegetables like cauliflower, zucchini, mushrooms, or kale.
How to Serve Steak Ranchero
Traditional Bistec Ranchero is served with warm, fresh tortillas and your favorite toppings. However, this Mexican beef dish works great with just about anything (or by itself). Not sure where to begin? Here are some of my favorite ways to serve this dish:
- Stuffed into tortillas. This dish is traditionally served with warm tortillas for a reason. I love stuffing Bistec Ranchero into some corn tortillas and topping them off with sliced avocado and fresh cilantro. Yum!
- Served over rice. A bowl of brown rice or quinoa is great for sopping up all the delicious juices in this dish. For a low-carb meal, try pairing this dish with my Mexican Cauliflower Rice.
- Loaded onto burrito bowls. Looking for a healthy and delicious protein to top off your favorite burrito bowls? Well, you’re in luck. Serve Steak Ranchero atop a colorful bowl filled with brown rice, beans, greens, and cheese for an easy and delicious meal.
- On top of salads. Got a Mexican or Southwest-style salad in need of a little protein? Believe me when I say Bistec Ranchero is the perfect way to finish it off. Some of my top choices include this Southwest Quinoa Salad and this Black Bean and Corn Salad.
How to Store Leftovers
Leftover Bistec Ranchero is perfect for tacos, salads, wraps, bowls, or really anything you’re in the mood for. It’s also fantastic on its own for a protein-packed meal!
To store leftovers, allow them to cool before transferring them to an airtight storage container. Then, you can store them in one of two ways:
- In the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
- In the freezer for up to 3 months.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are the answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about this dish:
For this recipe, I recommend using a lean sirloin steak. However, feel free to use whatever cut of steak you prefer. Flank steak, ribeye, and round steak all make great substitutes. Just choose something that will stay tender when it is cooked quickly.
Traditionally, this Mexican beef dish is tucked into warm tortillas and served similarly to tacos. Many people also top the dish with avocado or fresh cilantro and serve beans and/or rice on the side. You can serve this dish any way you want!
Yes! This dish is made with simple, wholesome ingredients like lean sirloin steak, vegetables, and fragrant spices. It’s free of added sugar and artificial preservatives, packed with protein, and relatively low in calories. As long as you enjoy this dish in moderation, it’s a perfectly healthy dish to add to your regular rotation
Absolutely! Swap in chicken breasts or chicken thighs if you prefer a chicken-based dish. It will also work with ground meat, thinly sliced pork, and even shrimp.
Bistec Ranchero (Ranch Style Steak)
- Print Recipe
- Download PDF
- 2 U potatoes, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil (or vegetable oil)
- 1 lb lean sirloin steak, thinly sliced
- 1/2 U onion, thinly sliced
- 1 U poblano pepper, diced (or yellow chile pepper)
- 1 U jalapeno pepper, diced (seeds removed for less heat)
- 2 U garlic cloves, minced
- 3 U Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- Salt and pepper
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.