This sweet and spicy Honey Chipotle Grilled Chicken is full of flavor and couldn't be easier to make with just 6 ingredients! Works on the grill or baked in the oven. Jump to Recipe
Spicy, garlicky, sweet- what's not to love with this chicken recipe? You can make this recipe for honey chipotle chicken on an indoor or outdoor grill. It's sweet and tangy and perfect for a family day or backyard BBQ!
I love grilled chicken! It's quick, it's simple and you can marinate it with so many different flavors- it never gets old!
What sets this chicken recipe apart from other grilled chicken recipes is the amazing sauce. It is so good, you'll find other excuses to use it! Not only is it delicious, but it's also super-easy to make - you just need a food processor.
The chipotle peppers add the perfect amount of heat, and the honey offsets that heat with a sticky-sweet taste. Just combine the sauce and the grilled chicken, and you have an incredible combination.
This is a tasty sweet, spicy, and quick dinner, which makes it perfect for summer BBQs! Plus, the sauce is versatile enough to work with virtually any protein. You might even want to make some extra sauce - it really is that good!
Use it over again on pork chops, chicken thighs, or even some baked chicken wings!
Key Ingredients For Honey Chipotle Chicken
There are 5 simple ingredients in the sauce for this tangy chicken. They are all really easy to find at the store too.
Here's what you need:
- Chicken: Use boneless, skinless chicken breasts to make it easy. But, any kind of grilled meat tastes delicious with this marinade sauce. Consider pork, chicken thighs, or even burgers.
- Chipotle Peppers: The best kind is the jar of chipotles in adobo. Make sure they are seeded for some extra spice.
- Garlic: Fresh garlic cloves will have a robust flavor that really stands out. You can use a few tablespoons of garlic powder in a pinch, but it won't have the same kick.
- Ketchup: Sugar-free ketchup is an excellent choice if you are trying to eat less sugar. If you need to avoid gluten, try a gluten-free variety!
- Worcestershire Sauce: This is what gives this sauce its smokey salty taste. You don't need any extra salt if you use Worcestershire sauce.
- Honey: If you are trying to eat sugar-free, use a honey replacement. I used 3 tbsp, but use less of it if you don't like things to taste really sweet. Agave is also a great replacement for honey.
Recipe Tips and Ideas For Grilled Chicken
Follow these tips to make sure that this chipotle chicken turns out delicious every single time!
- Use a food processor to make the sauce. You could use a blender instead, but don't try to do it all by hand. You'll want everything to mix together smoothly and completely.
- Grill the chicken without the sauce. If you want to save time, you could also just serve this sauce on top of some shredded rotisserie chicken from the store.
- Save extra sauce and drizzle it on top of mashed cauliflower or roasted potatoes to really pull your dinner all together.
What To Serve With Grilled Honey Chipotle Chicken
This chicken is so flavorful that it needs something mild on the side to go with it. Start out with a chopped salad, and then add some grilled vegetables on the side. It will also taste amazing with some roasted green beans and crispy baked zucchini. The baked zucchini is perfect for BBQs or large dinners because it feeds a lot of people really easily!
You can even use this chicken inside your favorite soft taco shells and enjoy sweet and spicy chicken tacos!
Be creative and enjoy this chicken in new and different ways. It is also delicious served on a bed of greens with crispy cucumbers and apples.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some questions I frequently get asked about by some readers…
Can I use jarred jalapenos that are not in adobo sauce?
Yes, you can, but it won't have the same taste. I suggest using chipotles in adobo. The adobo sauce is slightly sweet with an unmistakable smoky flavor that makes this honey chipotle chicken taste so incredible.
How do you store leftover chicken?
The best way to store leftover chicken is in an airtight container or a resealable airtight plastic food storage bag. Keep it in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
What are some ways to use this chicken in other recipes?
This is the perfect chicken recipe to reuse in other ways. I love using it in my meal prep throughout the week. It tastes amazing as the main protein on a taco salad. You can also just wrap it up in large-leaf lettuce and enjoy a lower carb lettuce wrap.
Or, chop it up and mix it into some Spanish rice (or cauliflower rice). Keep this chicken in the refrigerator and find even more ways to use it in other meals.
What is the safe cooking temperature of chicken?
Always use an instant-read food thermometer when you cook chicken. You should cook chicken until it reaches an internal temperature of 160 degrees F.
More Delicious Chicken Recipes You’ll Love:
Grilled Honey Chipotle Chicken
- crop_freeCook Mode
- Print Recipe
- Download PDF
- 1.33 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast
- 2 U canned chipotle peppers in adobo, seeded
- 2 U garlic cloves
- 1/3 cup ketchup (low sugar for lower calorie)
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 U green onion, sliced (for serving, optional)
- Get IngredientsNEW!
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.