Greek Yogurt Parmesan Chicken
Greek Yogurt Parmesan Chicken takes only a few minutes to put together and results in delicious, moist, flavor packed chicken that your family will absolutely love.
Greek Yogurt Chicken with Parmesan cheese is a five ingredient recipe that will quickly become a mainstay in your dinner rotation. It is so easy to make and you will be shocked at how flavorful and moist the chicken turns out.
This recipe is one of the most popular recipes on Pinterest these days. The concept is simple – chicken that is baked in either yogurt or mayonnaise, Parmesan cheese, and spices, usually seasoned salt.
The yogurt keeps the chicken very moist while it cooks and adds some great flavor when combined with the cheese and spices.
To make everything taste fresher, I usually opt for fresh garlic, a bright spice mix or fresh herbs, and lemon zest but the basic recipe can work with virtually any spices.
It's really that easy and seriously tastes amazing. This is one of those times when the Pinterest folks got it right.
Funny thing about this chicken. The first time I made it, it was with enormous skepticism. The idea of cooking chicken in yogurt threw me off. Hot yogurt, it doesn't really seem that appealing, and let's be honest, sounds pretty awful. But somehow, I promise, the end result is anything but awful. The yogurt, Parmesan, and garlic combine to create a creamy sauce that's really tasty.
Plus the yogurt does an amazing job of keeping the chicken moist and tender. You don't have to worry about dry chicken breasts. It is one of those things that just works even though you think it won't.
Tips and Recipe Ideas
- Most of the original recipes for this chicken call for garlic powder instead of fresh garlic. Personally I like the taste of fresh garlic more, so I opted to use that. However, if you don't have any garlic on hand or don't feel like mincing it, garlic powder will work.
- When it comes to adding seasoning, you can go for spice mixes or fresh herbs. Many people swear by adding ranch seasoning to this recipe. Personally I am not a huge ranch fan, which is why I went for a spicier grill seasoning, but if you love ranch than I recommend giving it a try. For a fresher take, you could add fresh rosemary, thyme, or oregano.
- Depending on your dietary needs, you can opt to use full-fat yogurt for a creamier sauce or a combination of yogurt and mayonnaise. Mayonnaise will create a milder sauce for the chicken but personally I like the tang that Greek yogurt adds.
- For a crunchier coating, you can add breadcrumbs to the mix as well. After coating the chicken with the yogurt mixture, simply add a layer of Panko, seasoned, or whole-wheat breadcrumbs. It will bake up to be crispy and delicious.
- If you aren't a huge fan of chicken breasts, this recipe works great with boneless skinless thighs or pork chops. I imagine it would work on white fish as well, but I haven't tried it yet.
- Boost the flavor and add freshness with fresh herbs. Add fresh dill, parsley, chives, or oregano right to the yogurt mixture.
How to make Greek Yogurt Ranch Chicken?
If you want to make the ranch version of this yogurt chicken, add up to one envelope of store-bought ranch seasoning to the yogurt. If using homemade ranch seasoning, you will want to use 1-2 tablespoons per pound of chicken.
If you love the combination of ranch and buffalo sauce, consider drizzling some buffalo sauce on the finished dish.
Can I marinate the chicken in the yogurt for more flavor?
If you want to boost the flavor in this dish, let the chicken marinate in the yogurt mixture for up to 24 hours before cooking. If possible, let the chicken come to room temperature before placing it in the oven so that it cooks evenly.
Is this recipe Low Carb and Keto friendly?
If you are making this for a low carb or keto diet, substitute full fat yogurt for the nonfat Greek yogurt. The whole milk yogurt has fewer carbs than the nonfat varieties.
Side Dish Ideas
This yogurt chicken is one of those recipes you can serve with almost anything. We love it with roasted vegetables, fresh salads, and it is even delicious over pasta or spaghetti squash. Here are some ideas:
- Add even more garlic flavor to the dish with some Crispy Baked Broccoli or Garlic Parmesan Cauliflower.
- Serve this on a bed of Creamy Ricotta Spaghetti Squash or Parmesan Zucchini Noodles for a low carb meal.
- For something simple, just grab a bag of frozen brown rice and veggies to serve on the side.
- Make a big green salad and serve it with a homemade Greek yogurt dressing. Simply combine Greek yogurt, lemon juice, olive oil, a clove of crushed garlic, and Italian seasoning.
- There is something about this dish that pairs really well with tomatoes. Consider serving roasted tomatoes on the side or serving it with marinara sauce for dipping.
Looking for more healthy chicken breast recipes?
- Slow Cooker Greek Stuffed Chicken Breasts
- Roasted Jalapeno, Cilantro, and Garlic Chicken Breasts
- Brown Sugar Garlic Chicken Breasts
- One Pan Lemon Garlic Chicken and Asparagus
- Simple Baked Chicken Cutlets
This recipe was originally shared five years ago but has been updated with a video, new photos, and recipe ideas.
Greek Yogurt Parmesan Chicken
- Print Recipe
- Download PDF
- 1.67 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3/4 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp. lemon zest
- 1.5 tsp. grill seasoning (seasoned salt, Italian seasoning, ranch seasoning, or Cajun seasoning)
Like this Recipe? Try our Meal Plans!
- Weekly Meal Plans
- Easy Shopping List
- Healthy, Low Carb, & Vegetarian
- Nutritional Information
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.