Homemade Jalapeno Cheddar Burgers made with lean ground beef, cheddar cheese, fresh jalapeno, red onion, and a secret seasoning blend are the perfect burgers for your next barbecue.
This Jalapeno Cheddar Burger is seriously good - like I want to eat five burgers good. It's packed with jalapenos, red onion, and cheddar cheese. It's packed full of flavor and tastes like something from a fancy burger place.
It's my favorite burger to serve to anyone who claims you can't make a good burger with lean ground meat. It always changes their mind since these burgers are flavorful, moist, and shockingly easy to make.
In terms of the burger itself, you can play around with how much spice you like. I usually make it with one fresh deveined jalapeno. It's just a touch spicy and palatable for everyone. Then I top it with some grilled jalapenos to crank up the heat and get it nice and spicy for me.
What You'll Need and Easy Swaps
Here's everything you will need to make these tasty jalapeno burgers.
- Lean ground beef: Make these burgers with any type of ground beef you like. Just remember that since these burgers have shredded cheese in the patty, they won't dry out as easily as a normally lean beef burger, so I use 90-95% lean ground beef. Ground chicken or turkey will work as well.
- Fresh jalapenos: Always opt for fresh jalapenos when you can but swap in pickled jalapenos if that's all you have on hand. Poblano peppers or bell pepper would also work.
- Cheddar Cheese: Any shredded cheese you have on hand can be used for these burgers including cheddar, mozzarella, Monterey Jack, or gouda.
- Red onion: For some crunch and flavor, red onion is the perfect addition. If you don't like fresh onion, leave it out or swap in onion powder.
- Mustard: This acts as the seasoning blend in this burger and adds some moisture. Use whatever type of mustard you like to eat - yellow, Dijon, or whole grain.
- Worcestershire sauce: This is the other main seasoning agent in these burgers. It's salty and adds umami flavor to the burgers. Swap in some soy sauce or coconut aminos if you prefer.
Side Dishes for Jalapeno Cheddar Burgers
There are so many great side dishes for burgers from salads to fries to onion rings. Here are some favorites:
- French Fries: Serve these burgers with some baked zucchini fries, sweet potato fries, or butternut squash fries.
- Chips: Make some crispy baked potato chips with traditional white potatoes or sweet potatoes.
- Onion Rings: Try these delicious baked onion rings or Parmesan onion straws.
- Salads: Make this tasty Spring Mix Salad, Spinach Salad, or Corn Salad.
- Grilled vegetables: Cooking on the grill? Make some veggies on the side like this Grilled Broccoli, Grilled Corn, or Grilled Cabbage.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some of the most common questions about making these Jalapeno Cheddar Burgers.
These burgers work great with any type of ground meat including ground turkey or chicken. Since turkey tends to be leaner, look for 85% lean or 93% lean ground turkey to ensure the burgers don't dry out.
These burgers are mildly spicy since the seeds and veins have been removed from the jalapeno. For extra spice, leave in the seeds or double the amount of jalapenos.
Reheat the burgers in a medium skillet until warmed through. Warming leftover burgers in the microwave will result in rubbery or dry burgers.
Jalapeno Cheddar Burger
- Get in your Inbox
- 1.33 lbs 95% lean ground beef (or turkey)
- 1/3 cup red onion, chopped finely
- 1 jalapeno, chopped finely (seeded for less heat)
- 1/2 cup reduced fat shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt, divided
Like this Recipe? Try our Meal Plans!
- Weekly Meal Plans
- Easy Shopping List
- Healthy, Low Carb, & Vegetarian
- Nutritional Information
Switch to prevent your screen from going dark.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.