In this guide on how to make Banana Nice Cream, you will learn how to make the ultimate healthy dessert recipe. This delicious plant-based dessert is ultra customizable, so we’ve also got 5 flavor variations to get you started!
By now, you have probably heard of this crazy thing called “nice cream.” It’s a simple plant-based alternative to your favorite frozen treat. If, by chance, you live under a rock and have never heard of Banana Nice Cream, don’t worry. By the time you’re finished reading, you will have everything you need to create the best nice cream on the block.
As a busy mom of two, I am always on the lookout for healthier versions of classic desserts. It can be a challenge to find a healthy alternative that tastes just as delicious as the real thing. Enter: Banana Nice Cream. We also love this Two Ingredient Watermelon Ice Cream when you want to switch up the fruit.
Made simply from frozen bananas, your milk of choice, and a pinch of salt, this healthy dessert mimics the same creamy and delicious taste of your favorite ice cream. The only difference is that nice cream doesn’t have all the extra calories, fat, and added sugars that store-bought ice creams do.
Because bananas get creamier as they freeze, this frozen banana-based ice cream is one of the only low-calorie ice cream substitutes that doesn’t forego flavor. With so many ways to customize, this tasty treat is the perfect, healthy alternative that the whole family can get excited about. Banana lovers will also love these Frozen Banana Bites with chocolate and peanut butter.
What Is Nice Cream?
Nice cream is a delicious plant-based version of ice cream that is both sugar-free and vegan-friendly. Made with frozen bananas, milk, and salt, this healthy ice cream alternative is wholesome and super easy to make.
You can use a food processor, blender, or Vitamix to make this delicious, low-calorie dessert. All you have to do is peel and slice overly ripe, spotty bananas, then put them in the freezer in an airtight bag or container. After a couple of hours, add the frozen banana slices to a blender or food processor with your milk of choice and a dash of salt.
After mixing for just 10 minutes, you will have a creamy, plant-based ice cream that tastes just as delicious — maybe even better — as its traditional alternative. And the best part? Endless toppings and flavor variations ensure that this healthy dessert tastes fresh and exciting every time you enjoy it.
To make this Banana Nice Cream, you just need 3 simple ingredients:
- Frozen bananas. You will need the ripest, spottiest bananas you can find in order to maximize on this nice cream’s sweetness. The riper the banana, the sweeter and more flavorful it will be.
- Milk. You can use any kind of milk you like to help make this nice cream ultra smooth and creamy. To keep this nice cream dairy-free, make sure to use plant-based milk like almond milk, oat milk, or soy milk.
- Salt. Hear me out, a pinch of salt goes a long way in enhancing the flavor of this delicious treat. Feel free to use regular salt or Himalayan pink salt.
Tips to Make the Best Banana Nice Cream
Here are my top tips for bringing this delicious banana nice cream to life:
- Peel and slice your bananas. So they are able to freeze easily, peel and slice your bananas into ½ inch slices before tossing them in the freezer. The smaller your pieces are, the easier they will break down later in the food processor or blender.
- Don’t layer your banana slices. When freezing your banana slices, it can be tempting to toss them all into a freezer bag and call it a day. However, don’t go so fast! Freezing them in a single layer ensures that they won’t clump together in the freezer, which will make them easier to work with later. An easy way to do this is to freeze them on a baking sheet for 15 minutes before transferring them to a bag or container.
- Let your banana slices thaw slightly before mixing. To make things a little easier on your food processor or blender, let the slices thaw for about 10 minutes before mixing.
- Add a natural sweetener. Using overly-ripe bananas will sweeten the nice cream, but for an even sweeter treat you can add a dash of honey or maple syrup.
- Freeze before eating. For a consistency similar to that of soft-serve ice cream, you can go ahead and eat nice cream right out of the food processor. However, if you’re looking for a consistency similar to regular ice cream, freeze the nice cream for about 30 minutes before enjoying it.
Nice Cream Flavor Variations
There are endless variations that you can try to make this Banana Nice Cream recipe your own. However, if you’re looking for some inspiration, here are some of my favorite nice cream flavor variations:
- Peanut Butter Banana Nice Cream. For a delicious, chunky monkey taste, add 2 tbsp peanut butter, ¼ tsp vanilla extract, and a pinch of cinnamon to the food processor before blending the mixture.
- Chocolate Banana Nice Cream. For a rich chocolatey flavor, add 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder and ¼ tsp vanilla extract to the blender.
- Strawberry Nice Cream. For a fresh strawberry taste that mimics the ice cream flavor, just add 1 cup frozen strawberries to the blender.
- Nutella Nice Cream. Let’s be honest, who doesn’t love Nutella? For that classic chocolatey hazelnut flavor, add 1-2 tbsp Nutella to the blender with the mixture.
- Mint Chip Nice Cream. For a fresh minty-chocolate flavor, just add ¼ tsp peppermint extract to the blender, along with ¼ cup mini chocolate chips.
Banana Nice Cream Topping Ideas
An easy way to customize this dessert is to load it with all of your favorite toppings. Although there are truly an infinite amount to choose from, here are some of my favorite healthy ice cream toppings:
- Fresh fruit. Freshly sliced bananas or strawberries give this Banana Nice Cream a fresh, fruity flavor while adding a delicious burst of nutrients (and no added sugars). Chopped peaches, pineapples, and apricots also work really well.
- Granola. For a delicious crunch and some added fiber, try adding your favorite cereal or granola as a topping.
- Nuts. For a little extra crunch and some nutty flavors, try sprinkling some chopped or crushed nuts over your nice cream. I recommend walnuts, pecans, almonds, or even chocolate-covered almonds.
- Shredded coconut. Shredded coconut is a delicious and healthy way to add tropical flavors to your Banana Nice Cream, while adding a little extra fiber.
- Chocolate chips. What would an ice cream dessert be without chocolate chips? My personal preference is dark chocolate chips, but you can use any kind you like.
- Crushed graham crackers. If you’re looking to really impress your kids, you can never go wrong with some crushed graham crackers.
- Honey. A little honey drizzled over your nice cream is a fantastic way of adding some extra sweetness without all the added sugar.
- Chocolate syrup. Just like regular ice cream, a drizzle of chocolate syrup is the perfect way to top off a delicious nice cream sundae.
- Nut butter. For some added protein and a ton of delicious flavor, try adding a dollop of almond or peanut butter to your nice cream.
How to Store Banana Nice Cream
Storing Banana Nice Cream is truly a breeze. To store, seal it in an airtight glass storage container and cover. Then, keep it in the freezer for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to enjoy it again, simply let your nice cream thaw slightly on the counter or in the fridge for a few minutes.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are the answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about this healthy dessert recipe:
If your bananas are properly sliced and stored, they will normally take about 2 hours to freeze hard enough for making nice cream. Make sure to slice them in ½ inch thick pieces, as this will make them easier to work with later.
Banana Nice Cream tastes the sweetest when the bananas are overly ripe and spotty. However, if all you’ve got is a bunch of green bananas, you can place them in a paper bag to help them ripen faster. The paper bag traps the bananas’ ripening gasses, which helps them ripen much more quickly than they otherwise would.
Yes! Banana Nice Cream is a plant-based, sugar-free, and healthier alternative to regular ice cream. Made with just frozen bananas, milk, and salt, nice cream doesn’t have any of the sugars, fats, or calories that regular ice cream does. So, it’s a delicious and healthy way to satisfy your sweet tooth.
You can use a food processor, a blender, or a Vitamix to make nice cream. The food processor is my go-to tool, but any of them will work well. It really just comes down to whatever you have at home.
Yes! If you’re not quite ready to eat your Banana Nice Cream, you can absolutely freeze some to eat later. Just make sure your nice cream is properly sealed in an airtight storage container and it will freeze well for up to 3 months. Then, when you’re ready to enjoy, all you have to do is let it thaw for a few minutes before scooping into a bowl.
Banana Nice Cream (5 Flavor Ideas!)
- Print Recipe
- Download PDF
- 2 frozen bananas (the more ripe, sweeter)
- 3 tbsp almond milk (milk of choice)
- 1/16 tsp kosher salt
Like this Recipe? Try our Meal Plans!
- Weekly Meal Plans
- Easy Shopping List
- Healthy, Low Carb, & Vegetarian
- Nutritional Information
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.