Chunky Monkey Banana Peanut Butter Yogurt Bowl
This easy Greek Yogurt Bowl with bananas, chocolate, peanut butter, and sliced almonds has all the flavor of your favorite Chunky Monkey ice cream - lightened up!
Move over, Ben & Jerry’s—there’s a new Chunky Monkey in town! Made with creamy yogurt, bananas, almonds, chocolate chips, and a peanut butter drizzle, this Chunky Monkey Greek Yogurt Bowl is both wholesome and decadent.
Yogurt bowls are some of my favorite breakfast choices because they’re quick, easy, and tasty. When made the right way, they’re also packed with nutrition that fuels my body all day long and keeps me feeling energized.
Something about eating chocolate and peanut butter for breakfast feel like the biggest guilty pleasure, like I’m having dessert at seven in the morning. Fear not, this may taste like dessert (seriously, it does), but it’s a perfectly healthy way to start the day.
This recipe comes together from start to finish in as long as it takes for you to slice a banana and compile the ingredients into a bowl. Two minutes? One? Even if you’re the world’s slowest banana slicer, you’ll be enjoying sweet, creamy goodness in under five minutes.
Whether you serve this yogurt bowl for your kids or pack it into a jar to take to work, it’s guaranteed to make a delicious breakfast that you’ll want to make again and again.
What is Chunky Monkey Flavor?
Chunky Monkey refers to the iconic Ben & Jerry’s flavor, made of banana ice cream with fudge chunks and walnuts. Since coming out in 1988, Chunky Monkey has become one of the company’s most longest-running flavors still sold today and is a popular fan favorite. The combination of bananas, nuts, and chocolate was an instant hit with ice cream lovers everywhere and became a common flavor pairing for copycat recipes.
The Chunky Monkey flavor quickly took the food world by storm and is now re-made into recipes for ice cream, smoothies, cookies, yogurt bowls, and even cocktails. This Chunky Monkey Greek Yogurt Bowl is my ode to the classic Ben & Jerry’s Chunky Monkey ice cream, with a healthier twist.
This wholesome and delicious recipe requires only 5 ingredients to make. It’s really that simple. The key ingredients you will need to make the breakfast dish include:
- Greek yogurt: I use plain nonfat Greek yogurt for this recipe, but you can use low fat or vanilla if you prefer one of those instead.
- Banana slices: This is one of the key components of any Chunky Monkey bowl! Bananas are loaded with nutrients and make the perfect fruit to complement the rest of our ingredients.
- Almonds: Rich in fiber, protein, and healthy fats; sliced almonds add a ton of nutrition and a satisfying crunch to the dish.
- Peanut butter: We melt this down so it gets extra creamy, then swirls in with the yogurt so you get nutty peanut butter in every bite.
- Chocolate chips: You can use any kind you like; dark, milk, or sugar-free.
Health Benefits of Greek Yogurt
Greek yogurt is a probiotic-packed fermented food that boasts a ton of impressive health benefits. According to Healthline, these are some of the top health benefits of Greek yogurt:
- Boosts immunity
- Decreases stomach issues
- Increases bone health
- Supports workout recovery
- Increases brain function
- Aids in weight loss
- Supports a healthy metabolism
Serving and Substitution Tips
These are some of my favorite suggestions for servings and substitutions for this dish:
- This tasty breakfast dish pairs great with a nice, hot cup of coffee.
- Try serving this dish buffet-style at your next brunch. It’s fun, hands-on, and allows everyone to control their topping portions.
- To add some extra sweetness, try drizzling some honey or maple syrup on top just before serving.
- If you aren’t a big fan of plain Greek yogurt, try subbing it out for vanilla Greek yogurt or mixing honey into it before adding the toppings.
- If you want to use different nut butter, cashew and almond butter both work great as well.
Greek Yogurt Topping Ideas
If you’re looking for more toppings to try out on your Greek yogurt bowls, here are some additional ideas:
- Berries like raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, and strawberries
- Stone fruit like peaches, cherries, plums, apricots, and mangos
- Tropical fruit like pineapples, passion fruits, kiwi, figs, and dragon fruits
- Shredded coconut
- Dried cranberries or raisins
- Lemon or lime zest
- Seeds like hemp seeds, chia seeds, and pumpkin seeds
- Pomegranate arils
- Nut butters like almond, cashew, and macadamia nut
- Cacao nibs
Frequently Asked Questions
Below you’ll find answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about this dish:
What is the difference between Greek yogurt and regular yogurt?
Greek yogurt and regular yogurt contain the same primary ingredients, but in Greek yogurt the whey and other liquids are removed through a straining process. This causes Greek yogurt to be denser in texture and significantly higher in protein.
Is Greek yogurt good for you?
Yes! Greek yogurt is a fermented food and is packed with probiotics that help support a healthy gut. It’s also loaded with protein, vitamins, and nutrients.
What kind of chocolate chips should I use?
You can use whichever kind of chocolate chips you like best, but I tend to opt for dark chocolate chips.
What can I use instead of almonds?
If you don’t have almonds at home or would prefer to use a different type of nut, walnuts, pecans, and cashews work great too.
Will Greek yogurt fill me up?
Absolutely. Greek yogurt is packed with protein, which helps to keep you full for longer. In addition to the protein in the Greek yogurt itself, there’s also added protein in the peanut butter and almonds we use to top this yogurt bowl with. With the right toppings, Greek yogurt can be a perfectly filling breakfast to start your day with.
More Healthy Yogurt Recipes:
Chunky Monkey Banana Peanut Butter Yogurt Bowl
- Print Recipe
- Download PDF
- 1 cup nonfat Greek Yogurt (or low sugar vanilla yogurt)
- 1/2 banana, sliced
- 2 tbsp sliced almonds
- 1 tbsp chocolate chips ( I used Lily's or another low sugar brand)
- 2 tsp peanut butter, melted (or PB2)
Like this Recipe? Try our Meal Plans!
- Weekly Meal Plans
- Easy Shopping List
- Healthy, Low Carb, & Vegetarian
- Nutritional Information
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.