There are a few things I almost always have on hand and in my experience can be instantly turned into a delicious meal. First I grab whatever protein has been hanging out in the freezer the longest. To that I add some chopped onions, bell peppers, something spicy in the form of of spicy fresh peppers or chipotles, some canned diced tomatoes, and a bit of broth. Usually I add the usual suspects for spices – oregano, coriander, and cumin – and throw everything into the slow cooker to cook all day. However this last version I threw together turned out so well I had to share it.
There are a few great things about this recipe, which is another reason I wanted to share it. First, the spice level can be customized to fit your needs. Personally I like things spicy so I added three chopped serrano peppers and left the seeds intact, but if you don’t like spice just use a green bell pepper. Secondly, there are a thousand and one ways to eat it. Make tacos, add extra beef broth and make a stew, serve it over rice or pasta, stuff it in some roasted peppers, you get idea. And finally, it’s a great meal for meal prep. Make it Sunday and you can use leftovers for lunches or quick dinners all week.
Sunday Slow Cooker: Spicy Braised Beef
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- 2 lbs. lean beef eye round, trimmed of all fat (or top round)
- 1 U sweet onion, diced
- 1 U red bell pepper, diced
- 2 U garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 U jalapenos
- 1/4 cup low sodium beef broth
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce (coconut aminos for Whole30)
- 2 tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 tsp. oregano
- 1/4 tsp. coriander
- shopping_cartGet IngredientsinfoNEW!
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.