Sausage and butternut squash has been one of my favorite combinations for a long time. Usually when I pair the two it is in a simple hash, but lately I have been making lots of these egg casseroles to have for breakfast during the week and my beloved squash and sausage is the perfect combination. Not only is it packed with protein, it's also extremely filling and will keep you going all morning. I like to add spinach to mine for some greens as well as red onion. You could also add bell peppers, mushrooms, and no one would blame you if you threw some cheese on top.
videocam Slender Kitchen Videos
Sausage and Butternut Squash Breakfast Casserole
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- 1 lb. lean ground turkey sausage
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 2 cups butternut squash, peeled and diced
- 1/2 U red onion, diced
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 4 cups spinach, chopped
- 4 U eggs
- 4 U egg whites
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat a skillet over medium high heat. Add the sausage and cook until no longer pink, breaking it up as it cooks. Remove and set aside.
- Add the olive oil to the pan. Once hot, add the butternut squash and red onion. Cook for 8-10 minutes until squash and onion are tender, adding 1-2 tablespoons of water if burning. Add the salt, garlic powder, oregano, and pepper. Stir together. Add the spinach and cook until it wilts, 1-2 minutes.
- Whisk together the eggs. Add the sausage and butternut squash mixture to a baking dish sprayed with cooking spray. Pour the eggs over top. Bake for 25-30 minutes until eggs set and are cooked through.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.