Lately I have been all about the stir-fry. At least once or twice a week, I am loading up a wok or skillet with protein, tons of veggies, and a quick sauce. Normally my stir-fries lean in an Asian direction since I am partial to any combination of soy sauce, Sriracha, Hoisin, curry, or other Asian flavors. Lately this has included some Chinese 5 spice, which is quickly becoming one of my favorite spice blends. It’s a combination of anise, Szechuan peppercorns, cloves, fennel, and cinnamon and it’s delicious. Since it can be strong, I recommend starting with 1 tsp. and adding more depending on your preference. Some people will want it to be subtle and others will like it bold and up front. In terms of veggies for this stir-fry, I recommend looking for a cabbage based Asian vegetable mix. Mine had a few types of cabbage, carrots, kale, Brussel sprouts, pea pods, and broccoli slaw. Whatever you choose, just make sure it is quick cooking.
Asian Quinoa and Turkey Stir-Fry
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- 1.33 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 tbsp. sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes (or more)
- 4 U cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 tbsp. ginger, minced
- 1 lb. 99% lean ground turkey
- 1 tsp. Chinese five spice
- 2 tbsp. low sodium soy sauce (GF if needed)
- 16 oz. Asian vegetable mix (choose one with cabbage as the base)
- 1 U red pepper, sliced very thinly
- 4 U scallions, chopped
- 2 tbsp. cilantro, chopped
Heat coconut and sesame oil over medium high heat.
Add the ground turkey and five spice. Brown until turkey is fully cooked.
Add the soy sauce, vegetables, red pepper, and scallions. Cook until vegetables are just tender, about 4-5 minutes. Stir in quinoa and cook until heated through.
Turn off the heat and toss in cilantro. Taste and add more soy sauce, Chinese 5 spice, or red pepper flakes if needed.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.