I tend to shy away from making Indian food at home even though it is one of my favorite things to get as takeaway. I tend to be a little intimidated when it comes to the spices and have always felt it is best to leave it up the experts. However lately I have been experimenting more with the Indian food I love so much, mostly because the restaurant versions are calorie bombs, and sometimes I really crave it but don't want indulge.
After looking at lots of recipes, I decided to start with a slow cooker version of chicken tikka masala since it is one of my favorites and because isn't quite as complicated as many of the other dishes. The garam masala spice blend does most of the heavy lifting for you. Just taste it before using it since versions can vary quite a bit in terms of strength and even what they include. Some of heavier in cardamom, some in curry, some in cinnamon, so just be prepared to make some adjustments if needed.
Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala with Cauliflower
- Print Recipe
- Download PDF
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken thighs, chopped
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast, chopped
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 U onion, diced
- 4 U cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp. ginger, minced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp. garam masala (to taste, blends vary in flavor/intensity)
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper (optional, to taste)
- 28 oz. canned fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 3 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 cup canned light coconut milk (using a full fat Whole30/Paleo compliant brand)
- Get IngredientsNEW!
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.