So I have to admit, the inspiration for today's recipe came from one of my favorite store bought lunches - Tastybite Madras Lentils - an Indian lentil dish made with a curry of tomatoes, coconut milk, and spices. While I am a fan of the store bought version, I always prefer to make things at home when I can. This curry is a very milk Indian curry without the deep smoky or spicy flavors of many of curries. Usually I make mine the traditional way with potatoes but you could use sweet potatoes or hearty squash as well. In addition, I love adding some spinach or kale to get some extra veggies but you could leave this out. It freezes great so consider making a large enough portion for leftovers.
videocam Slender Kitchen Videos
Slow Cooker Madras Lentils
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- 3 cups canned lentils, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups canned tomato sauce
- 1 U onion, finely diced
- 3 cups potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 6 cups spinach
- 3/4 cup canned lite coconut milk
- 4 U cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 3/4 tsp dried oregano
- 3/4 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp. coriander
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
Add everything to the slow cooker. Cook on low for 4 hours. Season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes as needed.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.