Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup packed with shredded chicken, black beans, and corn in a spicy tomato broth is filling and delicious. Jump to Recipe
This Crockpot Chicken Enchilada Soup is one of those soups that stick to your ribs and keep you full all day. The canned enchilada sauce gives it tons of flavor and it is full of chicken, beans, and corn. It's a favorite along with this Slow Cooker Taco Soup and Cabbage Soup.
I love making soup. Any kind, any flavors, any style...but, I have to admit that Chicken Enchilada Soup is definitely one of my favorites. It makes it to the top ten at least. It combines all of my favorite things — warm soup and of course Mexican food.
It's like eating all the warmth of the Southwest in a bowl. In fact, often it is compared to a thicker version of this chicken tortilla soup and, when done right, should taste just like you are slurping up an enchilada. In a good way, though — a delicious way. It’s the perfect soup to make on cold nights and when you want to curl up with something warm.
This soup is easy to customize so you can fill it with all your favorite flavors and ingredients. All you really need to do is throw open your pantry and refrigerator doors and see what ingredients you have that will work with this soup. Odds are, you probably have a lot of them on hand already.
Also, depending on your preference you can up the spice level in this soup by using more chili powder or by adding in a few diced jalapeno peppers. Or, consider making up a big batch and freezing the leftovers for those nights when you don't have time to cook.
Can I Make Crockpot Chicken Enchilada Soup Vegetarian?
Don't let the "chicken" part of this soup scare you off if you are a vegetarian. It's easy to adapt for a plant-based diet. Simply eliminate the chicken and use a vegetable broth. I'd add in a can of pinto beans and corn for protein and a little extra texture. Also feel free to add in other veggies, like some riced cauliflower or diced sweet potatoes.
How Do You Make Your Own Enchilada Sauce?
Sometimes you're all set to make a meal and realize you're out of one ingredient. Rather than go to the store or scrap the meal altogether, why not try to learn to make these sauces and other ingredients if you can? One such staple I have found myself missing on more than one occasion is the enchilada sauce. The good news is, it's easy to make your own.
You'll need a few ingredients:
- 1 can of tomato sauce
- 1 can of tomato paste
- 1.5 cups of beef (or chicken or vegetable) broth
- 1/4 tsp each of dried oregano, ground cumin, garlic powder, and onion powder
- 2 tsp of chili powder
- Salt to taste
- Simply mix everything together in a saucepan and bring it to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat and simmer for another 10 minutes. Add to your soup and enjoy!
Side Dishes to Serve with Chicken Enchilada Soup
While this soup is hearty, I do usually like to serve it with a little something else to round out the meal.
- Cornbread is an easy side to whip up and goes great with most soups. Try making it from a simple boxed mix or try one of my favorite versions.
- This soup is also good served over white or brown (or cauliflower) rice or with rice on the side.
- Crusty rolls or French or sourdough make a great addition to this soup. Slice up or pull apart a baguette and serve it restaurant-style in a basket for everyone to share with a side of butter or olive oil for dipping.
- Crispy Baked Broccoli is another great side to eat along with soup. If you're not a fan of broccoli, try roasting up some cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, green beans, asparagus, or whatever veggies you have on hand.\
- Make some Mexican-style street corn by grilling corn on the cob and adding a little butter (or use spray butter or olive oil) and sprinkle on some chili powder or paprika and chopped cilantro and eat it right off the cob.
- Try a side of broccoli, cabbage, or kale slaw marinated for a couple of hours in your favorite vinaigrette. Don't knock it till you try it!
What Toppings Go With Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup?
Toppings are my jam, and I consider them the sprinkles to my dinner cupcakes if you will. For this soup, try adding any or all of the following: chopped tortilla strips or chips; cilantro; diced red or white onions; sliced green onions; thinly sliced avocado; chopped jalapenos; cheddar, Monterey jack, or pepper jack cheese; queso fresco, Greek yogurt or light sour cream; sliced black olives; or your favorite hot sauce.
Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Print Recipe
- Download PDF
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 U onion, diced
- 1 U green pepper, diced
- 1 U red pepper diced
- 3 U cloves garlic, minced
- 10 oz canned diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 14 oz. can enchilada sauce
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 28 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup masa harina (or corn meal)
- 1/2 cup reduced fat shredded cheddar cheese
- Get IngredientsNEW!
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.