Pineapple Chicken Sausages are a quick and healthy meal with store bought chicken sausages and a delicious homemade pineapple salsa. Jump to Recipe keyboard_arrow_down
Pineapple Chicken Sausage Sandwiches come together in under 20 minutes for a quick and easy dinner that is perfect for summer with a refreshing pineapple salsa that you will want to eat with everything. You also don't want to miss these Sixteen Chicken Sausage Recipes.
Without realizing it, I have been posting tons of sandwich and burger recipes over the past week. I guess it's just that time of year when it's easy to grill up your favorite protein, squish it in between some bread, and call it dinner. And chicken sausages are at the top of the list when it comes to a quick meal and a healthy sandwich filler. With so many different flavors and the fact that they are ready in less than 10 minutes, it's a no brainer around here.
This meal actually happened by accident and I couldn't be happier it did since we loved it. The original plan was to make pineapple, chicken, and sausage skewers but by the time dinner time came around, I was too tired to put together the skewers. Plus it was about 100 degrees out and I wanted some quick and refreshing.
Since we all love pineapple salsa, I decided to whip up a quick batch and use it to top the sausages. I also made a quick creamy sauce with cilantro, jalapeno, sour cream, and yogurt. It was kind of like an aji verde (a green Peruvian sauce) and is delicious with the pineapple salsa. Definitely make it.
Tips for Making Pineapple Chicken Sausages
- You can use any type of sausage you like, but I personally love to use a slightly spicy sausage since it pairs really well with the sweet pineapple salsa.
- Although we are partial to pineapple, you could make the sausage with mango, peaches, plums, or even watermelon. And for a more traditional dish, tomatoes are also always an option.
- If you don't have a grill, you can cook the sausages on a grill pan or in a saute pan. Just try to get some char on the outside since it adds a nice smoky flavor to the dish.
- If you are making this dish for kids, consider leaving out the jalapeno and just serving it on the side instead. That way everyone can control the amount of spice in their dish.
Is chicken sausage healthy?
When it comes to sausage, chicken sausages is one of the best options along with turkey sausage. Chicken sausage normally has between 140-160 calories each with just 7 to 10 grams of fat. This is compared to 300-500 calories in pork sausage with 25-35 grams of fat. Plus chicken sausage generally has about half as much sodium as pork sausage.
Ways to Serve Pineapple Chicken Sausages
There are lots of different ways to serve these chicken sausages with pineapple sausages. Here are some of our favorites:
- Sandwiches: We eat this dish most often as a sandwich. I like to look for whole grain or reduced calorie buns and then top everything with hot sauce.
- Lettuce wraps: For a lower carb option, serve these as lettuce wraps using Romaine or butter lettuce.
- Rice bowls: Grab some cooked brown rice, your favorite veggies, and top with sliced chicken sausages and pineapple salsa.
- Tacos: These make some really delicious tacos. Add your favorite salsa. We like to use chipotle salsa or green salsa.
- On their own: You can also serve these sausages all on their own right off the grill. Just have the pineapple salsa on the side and everyone can add their own.
For the healthiest option, look for a chicken sausage that is nitrate free. You can also look for sausages made with organic ingredients and/or with reduced sodium.
Looking for more grilling recipes?
- Grilled Honey Sriracha Chicken
- Grilled Basil Lime Chicken Breast
- Grilled Lemon Herb Chicken Thighs
- Grilled Spice Rubbed Salmon
- More healthy grilling recipes
Here are some tools and products I used when preparing this recipe:
- When it comes to chicken sausages, I usually buy Aidell's, Al Fresco, or Applegate. I find that I love of their flavors and I like the fact that they are less processed and more natural than many of the other brands on the market.
- If you don't have a gas or charcoal grill at home, a grill pan is a great option for grilling indoors. I used one for years when I lived in an apartment that didn't allow grills. The two that I use most often are this nonstick version and this cast iron version. The nonstick is great for easy clean-up but the cast iron will give you deeper grill marks and more smoky flavor.
- Pineapples can be a pain to cut, especially if you want pretty pineapple rings. That's where a pineapple corer comes in handy. It slices the pineapple into perfect rings in about one minute. If you eat a lot of pineapple, it's worth it.
Pineapple Chicken Sausages
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- 4 U chicken sausages (or vegetarian sausage)
- 1 cup pineapple
- 1/2 cup red pepper, diced
- 1/2 U jalapeno, diced
- 1/8 cup onion, diced
- 1/8 cup cilantro, diced
- 1/4 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1 U lime, juice
- shopping_cartGet IngredientsinfoNEW!
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.