I am always trying to create slow cooker vegetarian dishes that aren't soups or stews. Not that I don't love a good soup, but it seems like that's all there is to make if you are a vegetarian and want to use your slow cooker. Lately I have been experimenting with slow cooker vegetarian sloppy joe recipes and so far this Italian inspired version made with lentils has been my favorite. It can be served over a bed of polenta, rice, or mashed cauliflower or the traditional way in a bun with some melted cheese. It's also delicious stuffed into some roasted peppers and covered in feta, mozzarella, or a drizzle of cashew cream if you are vegan.
videocam Slender Kitchen Videos
Slow Cooker Tuscan Lentil Sloppy Joes
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- 1.5 cups lentils
- 1 U onion, chopped
- 4 U cloves garlic, minced
- 1 U red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 U green bell peppers, chopped
- 2 cups mushrooms, chopped
- 2.5 cups crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1.5 tbsp. Italian seasoning
- 1.5 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1.5 tsp. chili powder (optional)
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- Salt and pepper
Add everything to the slow cooker and stir. Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 7-8 hours. If you notice the mixture gets dry, some lentils absorb more liquid than others, add extra broth. Season with salt and pepper.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.