Chicken Tortilla Soup with Corn
This easy authentic Chicken Tortilla Soup packed with corn, poblano peppers, onion, garlic, and chicken breast will warm you from the inside out.
There is nothing like having a warm bowl of soup when it's cold outside and this easy green Chicken Tortilla Soup will hit the spot. Healthy, filling, and freezer friendly, it's a dish everyone loves.
With winter creeping in and the nights starting to get colder and we can finally start pulling out some of our favorite sweaters, I immediately begin to crave comfort food. The kind that you want to curl up with on the couch and reminds you of someone or something special.
I always immediately think of my grandmother’s chicken soup. It was made completely from scratch, including the broth, and simmered for hours on her stove. She made it whenever someone was sick, had a bad day, or just needed a little pick me up. It was the ultimate comfort food.
Today as I think of comfort food, it has a new meaning for me. Not only does it need to be comforting in terms of taste, but I also need to have the piece of mind knowing I am feeding my family something that not only tastes delicious but is also good for them. For me, that means something that is made with real, whole foods that are healthy, local, and free of unnecessary chemicals and additives.
Our Best Healthy Mexican Recipes
This delicious recipe is featured in our guide to the best healthy Mexican recipes! If you are craving good-for-you versions of all your favorite Mexican meals, then check it out.... Take me there
This spicy Chicken Tortilla Soup with Fresh Corn takes a traditional chicken soup and kicks it up a notch with the addition of some Mexican flavors and lots of fresh ingredients – remember this is new comfort food – an updated, healthy version of a classic. It all starts with a base of poblano peppers, onions, and garlic. Then the chicken is poached in the broth and corn tortillas are added as a natural thickening agent. Then everything is blended to create the most delicious spicy broth.
After that – it’s really up to you. I like to add fresh corn and sometimes black beans. But you could add rice, pasta, or quinoa. Then you must reach for all the toppings you can find – avocado, queso fresco, cilantro, sour cream, baked tortilla chips – add it all on top and dive in.
- Add black beans, pinto beans, or white beans for extra protein and fiber. You could also add cooked rice or quinoa.
- For a spicier option, add a canned chipotle pepper with adobo sauce when sauteing the peppers and onions. You could also use jalapeno peppers or serrano peppers in place of the poblano.
- If you prefer a chunkier soup, don't blend the soup or only blend half of it.
- For a lower calorie option, leave out the corn tortillas. Just note that the soup will not be as thick. To thicken, you could add a can of fat-free refried beans.
- For a creamy chicken tortilla soup, add some sour cream, Greek yogurt, or cream cheese.
Can I freeze chicken tortilla soup?
This is a great soup for freezing. Make sure to let it fully cool first and then store in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Consider storing in individual containers for easy, quick meals.
There are so many ways to top this soup and its part of the fun! Here are some favorites:
- Grab some chopped fresh avocado to add healthy fat and flavor.
- Chop cilantro and onion to add some fresh crunch.
- Bake some tortillas to add a crispy element on top.
- Cheese is always a good idea. Consider using queso fresco for a traditional topping or use mozzarella, cheddar, or Monterey Jack.
- Most restaurants serve dried oregano on the side for tortilla soup and you can also serve sliced jalapenos on the side.
- Traditionally, chicken tortilla soup is served with warm corn tortillas. You can dip then in or tear them up and place them right in the soup.
Looking for more healthy soup recipes?
Chicken Tortilla Soup with Corn
- Print Recipe
- Download PDF
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 poblano peppers, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, diced
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1.5 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breast
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 10 oz. canned diced tomatoes
- 4 corn tortillas, chopped
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 3 ears corn, cut off the cob
- 2 limes
- Salt and pepper
Like this Recipe? Try our Meal Plans!
- Weekly Meal Plans
- Easy Shopping List
- Healthy, Low Carb, & Vegetarian
- Nutritional Information
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.