An easy one dish meal with Italian chicken, asparagus, zucchini, and tomatoes in a delicious sauce. Dinner in less than 30 minutes.
This Italian chicken skillet is almost like a simple Italian stir-fry! It’s a simple chicken and vegetable dish, but it’s jam-packed full of flavor and has plenty of vitamins thanks to a generous serving of fresh veggies.
It’s hard not to love chicken and veg dishes. After all, they’re quick, simple, and full of flavor - and usually, there’s only one pan (or skillet in this case) to wash up afterward.
However, many of these dishes are simply chicken and vegetables coated in Italian seasoning and garlic powder - they can be a touch dry! But not this chicken skillet - there’s a delicious vinaigrette-style sauce made from the remaining olive oil in the pan and balsamic vinegar, which is added towards the end so that it doesn’t burn.
What do I need to make this recipe?
Obviously, this Italian chicken and vegetables is mostly made with chicken and vegetables. The title gives that away just a little! However, it’s important to note that it is possible to make substitutions.
- Chicken breasts: Bhese are leaner than chicken thighs, but you can easily use thighs instead if you prefer. Just make sure that they’re boneless and skinless!
- Asparagus: Asparagus can be very seasonal, so if you can’t find it then just swap in another vegetable like green beans, sugar snap peas, broccoli, or cauliflower.
- Zucchini: This can also be swapped for another vegetable like yellow squash, green beans, thin strips of cabbage, or small broccoli florets.
- Cherry tomatoes: Any variety of small tomatoes work well here. I’d recommend sticking to small tomatoes though as if you simply cut large ones into wedges then they’ll lose their juices and become soggy as they cook.
- Lemon juice: Fresh is best in these recipes since the flavor is brighter, but in a pinch bottled lemon juice will work.
- Balsamic vinegar: -If possible, don’t try to substitute this with another type of vinegar as vinegar can vary wildly in flavor and balsamic works best in this dish. If you need to swap, grab something with a similar flavor profile.
- Italian seasoning: This creates the Italian flavors in this recipe and it's easy to make your own. If you don't have Italian seasoning, substitute in dried oregano, basil, thyme, and/or rosemary.
You need a couple of other things such as salt, pepper and olive oil. Scroll down to see the recipe card for the full list.
As you can see, this Italian stir-fry is just packed full of flavourful ingredients and healthy veggies - it’s the perfect meal!
How do I make this chicken and vegetable stir-fry?
The method here is super simple - you won’t believe how easy it is! There are just 4 steps that take 25 minutes total, leaving you with plenty of time to enjoy your evening instead of spending all of it cooking!
- Combine the ingredients for the marinade in a bowl and then stir to coat the chicken. Place in the fridge to marinate.
- Cook the chicken in the skillet and set aside.
- Cook the vegetables in the skillet, then add garlic and balsamic vinegar. Cook for a few minutes to allow the sauce to thicken. Remove from heat and re-add the chicken, stirring it into the vegetable mix.
- Garnish and serve!
See? What could be simpler than that! This skillet dish is particularly perfect for people who are less confident in the kitchen as it’s so simple and difficult to mess up.
Scroll down to the recipe card for full, detailed instructions on how to make this Italian chicken skillet.
How should I serve my chicken and veggies?
Personally, I like to serve this recipe with cauliflower rice for a clean, low-carb dinner. However, you could always serve it with white rice or crusty bread for a more hearty meal.
Not sure how to make cauliflower rice? Check out this cauliflower fried rice recipe - you can always skip the other ingredients and just make the plain rice!
What should I do with leftovers?
You can let leftovers cool to room temperature (up to half an hour depending on how much is left) and then just cover them and place them in the fridge for up to 3 days. You can then reheat the leftovers until piping hot either on the stovetop or in the microwave.
What should I make next?
Got leftover chicken? Why not try this grilled lemon chicken with tzatziki - it’s full of flavor and can be served tons of different ways - plus, it’s perfect for the whole family.
Or why not go more classic? This healthy chicken salad is perfect for sandwiches on-the-go. You can even serve it with lettuce and tomatoes in the sandwich too for extra healthy goodness!
Alternatively, if you’re looking for healthy skillet ideas with plenty of veggies then you might like this skillet vegetable lasagna! It’s healthy, flavourful and requires just one pan to help you minimise time spent washing dishes!
Or, for a chicken and veggie skillet idea, why not try this simple rosemary chicken sausage and vegetable skillet - it’s just heavenly! After all, who doesn’t love a good sausage? Especially ones with plenty of herbs!
Italian Chicken and Vegetable Skillet
- Print Recipe
- Download PDF
- 1.33 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 1 lb. asparagus, trimmed and halved
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 lemon, juice
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1.5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
Like this Recipe? Try our Meal Plans!
- Weekly Meal Plans
- Easy Shopping List
- Healthy, Low Carb, & Vegetarian
- Nutritional Information
When ready to cook, remove the chicken from the marinade, letting excess drip off. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken in a single layer. Cook for 8-12 minutes (depending on thickness), until chicken is just cooked through. Remove from pan and set aside. It will continue to cook as it sits, so make sure not to overcook the chicken.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.