This Arugula and Apple Salad with Goat Cheese, Pecans, and a Lemon Vinaigrette is full of flavor and makes a perfect healthy side dish or main course with some added chicken, shrimp, chickpeas, or tofu.
One thing to know about me is that I am always up for a challenge and my competitive streak runs pretty deep. So when my brother shared that he only likes crunchy salads, none of those wilted greens like spinach or arugula, of course, I had to make a salad that would bring him to the other side.
After a couple of failed attempts, this Arugula Apple Salad finally won him over.
Between the crunch of the apples and pecans, the peppery arugula, the creamy goat cheese, and the super lemony vinaigrette - it really is one delicious salad.
It can be served as a side dish or add your favorite protein to make it a main course.
It's also delicious with leftover cold pasta and chicken, which is how we had it the next day for lunch. Just make sure to store the dressing separately if you plan to have leftovers.
What is arugula?
Arugula is a peppery green leafy vegetable often used in salads. It is also sometimes called rocket or rucola.
Generally speaking, the larger the arugula leaves, the more peppery and bitter the flavor. If you prefer milder lettuce or green, look for baby arugula. Baby arugula only has a mild peppery flavor.
Recipe Ideas for Arugula Goat Cheese Salad
There are lots of ways to customize this arugula goat cheese salad and make it your own. Consider trying some of these:
- Cheese: Instead of goat cheese, swap in feta cheese, Parmesan cheese, or blue cheese.
- Fruit: Swap in pears, peaches, or fresh berries for the sliced apples.
- Nuts: Try a different nut like walnuts, cashews, hazelnuts, or almonds in place of the pecans.
- Veggies: Add more veggies like bell peppers, beets, carrots, or cucumbers.
- Add protein: Add a protein like grilled chicken, chickpeas, salmon, tuna, or shrimp.
- Dressing: Try out a different salad dressing! Balsamic vinaigrette, honey mustard, or red wine vinaigrette would all be tasty.
Arugula and Apple Salad with Goat Cheese and Pecans
- Print Recipe
- Download PDF
- 4 oz. arugula
- 2 apples, sliced
- 1/4 cup pecans, chopped
- 1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 1/8 cup red onion, sliced
- 1 lemon, juice
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 1 tbsp. white wine vinegar (more to taste)
- Salt and pepper
Like this Recipe? Try our Meal Plans!
- Weekly Meal Plans
- Easy Shopping List
- Healthy, Low Carb, & Vegetarian
- Nutritional Information
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.