Slow Cooker Sesame Chicken is the perfect reason to break out the crockpot. Cooked slow to keep it tender and extra ginger to keep your taste buds satisfied! Jump to Recipe keyboard_arrow_down
Sesame chicken in the slow cooker! I couldn’t be more excited to share this slow cooker ginger chicken recipe with you today since sesame chicken is one of the most popular recipes on Slender Kitchen. This slow cooker version combines similar ingredients but I amped up the ginger for extra flavor. It is cooked low and slow until it is fall apart tender and then broiled quickly to crisp everything up.
We all want that perfect Chinese chicken recipe to share with our family and friends, right? But more often than not we find ourselves on the sour end of a sweet and sour chicken recipe that failed. Why is it that so many asian chicken recipes fail? Simply put, they’re just too hard! This crockpot sesame ginger chicken is an easy Chinese chicken recipe that anyone can master not matter how your culinary skills stack up.
Change It Up
Depending on your preferences, you can play around with the flavors. Use less ginger if you prefer a more traditional sesame chicken. To give this dish a bump in sweetness add extra sugar. Add Sriracha to spice things up a bit, just be careful not to overdo it! Add some orange marmalade for a flavor similar to orange chicken. You can also switch out the chicken for pork. If tofu is your preference you can use this recipe for flavor but may need to adjust the cooking procedure to accommodate the texture of tofu. And if you don't want to broil things, strain the sauce out and quickly boil it to thicken the sauce.
Didn’t realize Chinese food could be healthy? This crockpot sesame ginger chicken packs a pretty hefty health punch. First, you have to understand just how incredible ginger is for your health! It is one of the healthiest spices around. Ginger contains anti-inflammatory properties making it a great addition to the diet of anyone suffering from arthritis or other inflammatory illnesses. Ginger has also been used for a very long time to treat nausea, indigestion, and may even help lower cholesterol! What about garlic? This is another healthy spice common in many Chinese chicken recipes. Garlic is high in vitamin C and B6, making it a great immune support. Garlic also has some great cholesterol and blood pressure lowering properties. It has been used for centuries for many prevalent health issues present today.
Serving Options for Slow Cooker Sesame Chicken
- Lettuce wraps: Wrap this up in butter lettuce and top with shredded carrots, edamame, and a squirt of Sriracha.
- Salads: Warm up and add a robust flavor to any salad. Place on a bed of greens with Asian inspired veggies like snow peas, sugar snap peas, beans sprouts, and cabbage. The chicken has enough flavor to serve as the dressing or you can use a light sesame dressing.
- Rice bowls: Top a bowl of warm rice or quinoa with this delicious sesame ginger chicken. Add chopped carrots, edamame, green beans, and any other veggies you have on hand.
- Side dish ideas: No meal is truly complete without a side dish, right? Some delicious options include Sesame Soy Edamame, Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice, Sesame Sugar Snap Peas, brown rice, quinoa, steamed veggies.
Can I Make a Spicy Sesame Chicken?
Yes! Add in sriracha to spice up the flavor.
Can I Add Vegetables to This Slow Cooker Sesame Chicken?
Of course! Adding veggies like broccoli or green beans works, but add them in the last thirty minutes of cooking so they don’t get mushy. Other vegetables that add flavor and texture include red, green, or yellow bell peppers, onions, mushrooms, and even asparagus!
Slow Cooker Sesame Ginger Chicken
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce (GF if needed)
- 1/3 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar (or honey, Stevia, agave)
- 2 tbsp. hoisin sauce
- 2 U garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp. fresh ginger, minced
- 2 tbsp. sesame seeds
- shopping_cartGet IngredientsinfoNEW!
Add the chicken to the slow cooker.
Mix together the soy sauce, chicken broth, brown sugar, hoisin sauce, garlic, and ginger.
Cook on low for 3-4 hours until the chicken is fully cooked. Slice or shred.
Optional: Want a thicker sauce? Add the sauce from the slow cooker to a small pot. Bring to a boil. Meanwhile combine 1 tbsp. of cornstarch and 1 tbsp. cold water. Add to the boiling sauce and stir well. Bring to a boil and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly, until sauce thickens.
Want it crispy? Spread the chicken on a baking sheet covered with foil and broil for 3-4 minutes or until crispy.
Top with sesame seeds.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.