This crunchy Ranch Coleslaw is the perfect twist on traditional coleslaw. Packed with crunchy celery, cabbage, and carrots in a homemade ranch slaw dressing.
There are so many things to love about this Ranch Coleslaw. It's such a fun spin on a traditional coleslaw and also a crowd-pleaser since it uses a ranch dressing instead of the traditional sweet mayo dressing. Plus it stays crunchy and delicious - no soggy salad here.
Yesterday I shared this quick and easy Buffalo Chicken Sloppy Joes recipe and today I wanted to share the ranch slaw that I make as the perfect side or sandwich topping. It's crunchy, it's crispy, and the homemade ranch dressing tames the spice of the buffalo chicken making it a winning combo. Pile it right on top to make the most delicious sandwich.
- Coleslaw: Like any good slaw, this starts with a base of shredded cabbage and shredded carrots. Packaged coleslaw mixed works or fresh cabbage can be shredded using a sharp knife, mandolin, or food processor.
- Celery: To add crunch and flavor to this slaw, it includes lots of celery. Use both the stalks of the celery and the leaves for the best flavor.
- Yogurt and buttermilk: To make a creamy dressing that is also light, this recipe uses Greek yogurt, buttermilk, and mayonnaise. Sour cream can be used in place of the mayonnaise. Plain yogurt can be used in place of Greek yogurt.
- Ranch seasoning: This uses a spice blend with parsley, dill, chives, onion powder, garlic powder, and black pepper to get that delicious ranch seasoning. Additionally, you could use a store-bought ranch seasoning or this homemade version.
Recipe Ideas and Substitutions
There are many ways to switch up this recipe based on what you have on hand or your preferences. Here are some things to consider:
- Use store-bought ranch dressing: For a quicker option, swap in your favorite store-bought ranch dressing or make your own homemade ranch.
- More crunch: Add even more crunch with some sliced cucumbers, red onions, or green onions.
- Add tomatoes: For a pop of color and flavor, add in some chopped cherry tomatoes. If you are making this in advance, add these right before serving.
- Make it spicy: Make a spicy version of this tasty celery slaw using this jalapeno ranch.
- Make it a meal: This also makes a great entree salad by adding cooked chicken, canned tuna, cooked fish, chickpeas, or cooked quinoa.
- Add cheese: Add another layer of flavor with some crumbled feta cheese, blue cheese, or goat cheese.
- No buttermilk? If you don't have buttermilk dressing, leave it out. Just add a splash of lemon juice or white vinegar.
What to Serve with Ranch Coleslaw
To be honest, this is one of those salads that I would serve with almost anything from grilled chicken to burgers and hot dogs. It's delicious in place of a traditional side salad and is a hit with kids since it's so crunchy.
- Buffalo chicken: This slaw tastes great with all things buffalo including these Buffalo Chicken Tenders, Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes (pile it right on top), or Grilled Buffalo Chicken Sandwiches.
- Tacos: For a twist on tacos, add this slaw to these Grilled Chicken Tacos or Black Bean Tacos.
- Spicy dishes: The cooling taste of the ranch is great with a spicy dish like these Southwestern Pork Chops, Spicy Barbecue Chicken Thighs, or Sweet and Spicy Salmon.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are the most common questions about making this celery slaw.
This ranch coleslaw can be made with store-bought ranch dressing instead of the homemade option provided in the recipe. Use about 1/2 cup of dressing to replace the homemade option.
This ranch slaw can be made up to 24 hours in advance but the salad will get softer as it sits, much like a traditional coleslaw. If you prefer a crunchier salad, store the dressing separately. Then combine 30-60 minutes before serving.
If you prefer not to use cabbage, simply replace the cabbage with more celery and carrots. Additionally you can add lettuce if you prefer a more traditional salad.
- Get in your Inbox
- 3 cups shredded coleslaw mix
- 4 ribs celery, sliced thin
- 1/3 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup lowfat buttermilk
- 3 tbsp. light mayonnaise
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. parsley
- 1 tbsp. chives
- 1 tsp. dried dill
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- Salt to taste
Like this Recipe? Try our Meal Plans!
- Weekly Meal Plans
- Easy Shopping List
- Healthy, Low Carb, & Vegetarian
- Nutritional Information
Switch to prevent your screen from going dark.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.