Slow Cooker Black Bean Soup
This Slow Cooker Black Bean Soup made is hearty, filling, and packed with flavor from a delicious combination of spices, tomatoes, garlic, onion and dried black beans.
Learn how to make Crockpot Black Bean Soup that simmers all day, with the perfect amount of heat and spice. This black bean soup is an easy vegetarian recipe!
I love a good bowl of soup. It can warm you up from the inside out and make pretty much any situation feel comfy and cozy.
This soup is a take on a classic black bean soup, made with just a few simple ingredients. Adding boiling broth eliminates the need for soaking the beans and I love the addition of some heat.
I prefer this soup blended until it is nice and smooth, but you can also leave it chunky or just blend half of it for a thicker soup that still has some texture.
Top with your favorite garnishes and you are ready for anything. Love this style of soup? You'll want to try this Healthy Taco Soup, Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili, and Slow Cooker Fajita Soup as well.
This soup uses all vegetarian ingredients for a hearty dish that will fill you up.
- Black Beans: Since this is simmering all day in the slow cooker, you can use dry beans without soaking them overnight. You should still rinse them off before you use them. If you are pressed for time, use a few cans of black beans instead. This will reduce the cooking time by a few hours.
- Onion: One way to speed up food prep is to use frozen diced onions. Although, I prefer to use fresh onion because it has a lot more flavor.
- Peppers: I used both red and green bell peppers. Add some yellow bell peppers for even more color and taste.
- Garlic Cloves: Fresh garlic cloves are always best, but the jarred minced garlic works really well too.
- Fire-Roasted Tomatoes: Add the entire can, even the juice, to the slow cooker. For a bit more spice, add some tomatoes with green chilies too.
- Vegetable Broth: Using canned vegetable broth is a time-saver, but you can make your own too.
- Taco Seasoning: Here is my recipe for homemade taco seasoning. However, a packet from the store is just as good.
- Bay Leaf: The bay leaf is optional, but I found that it gives soups an earthier undertone.
- Salt and Pepper: You just need enough salt and pepper to give it a little more flavor.
What To Serve With Black Bean Soup
There are so many different ways to enjoy this soup and what you serve with it can change.
Try some of my favorite ideas:
- For Lunch: If you are enjoying soup for lunch, it can be filling all by itself. Or, make your favorite sandwich to go along with it. The spices in the soup taste amazing alongside an avocado sandwich or a low-carb turkey pesto roll-up.
- As A Meal Starter: Start out your meal with soup and salad. This Mexican chopped salad has honey-lime dressing with lots of the same flavors as this soup. Or, serve it with spicy cabbage and corn slaw or spicy grilled chicken salad.
- As The Main Dish: Make this soup your entire dinner - all you need is some additional meat or a vegetarian main dish. Pan-fried garlic-lime tilapia, portobello mushroom pizza, or honey lime chicken are all fantastic choices.
Recipe Ideas and Tips
Follow these tips to make sure that this soup turns out hearty every single time!
- For a smoother soup, use an immersion blender to lightly blend some of the ingredients together. Do this after it is fully cooked.
- Taste the soup after it has cooked. Add additional salt and pepper as needed. Some types of taco seasoning don't need any extra salt, and some do!
- Garnish the soup with your favorite toppings like avocado, queso fresco, cilantro, or sour cream.
Frequently Asked Questions About Crockpot Black Bean Soup
Here are some questions I frequently get asked about by some readers…
Can you freeze black bean soup?
Yes, you can freeze this soup and save it for later. My favorite way to freeze soup is to let it cool off completely and then store it in a freezer-safe resealable plastic bag. Lay it flat on a baking sheet and freeze it that way.
After it is completely frozen, you can remove the baking sheet and just keep the soup in the freezer. The soup will stay fresh in the freezer for up to 3 months.
How do you store the soup?
The best way to store this soup is in the refrigerator in an airtight container. I like to store soups inside mason jars because they seal really tight and won't leak.
Soup will stay fresh in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Can I add meat to the soup?
Yes, you can add your favorite type of meat to the soup! I think it will taste amazing with some shredded chicken breast or chorizo sausage.
How do I make it taste even spicier?
If you want the soup to taste spicier, add a few splashes of hot sauce or some jalapeno slices.
More Delicious Soup Recipes You'll Love:
Slow Cooker Black Bean Soup
- Print Recipe
- Download PDF
- 1 lb dry black beans
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 14 oz. canned fire roasted diced tomatoes (with juice)
- 4 cups vegetable broth (boiling)
- 3 tbsp taco seasoning (store bought or homemade)
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper
Like this Recipe? Try our Meal Plans!
- Weekly Meal Plans
- Easy Shopping List
- Healthy, Low Carb, & Vegetarian
- Nutritional Information
Add the beans, onion, bell peppers, garlic, diced tomatoes, taco seasoning, and bay leaf to the slow cooker. Depending on the taco seasoning, you may need additional salt and pepper, but it can be added later. Add the boiling vegetable broth and stir. Cook on low for 8-10 hours until beans are render.
Cook on low for 8-10 hours until beans are tender. At this point, you have a few options. You can leave it as is, blend all of it for a smooth soup, or blend half of it for a creamier soup that still has some texture. Serve with avocado, queso fresco, cilantro, sour cream or Greek yogurt, and any other toppings you like.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.