These Portobello mushroom pizzas are the perfect healthier and low carb pizzas. Made with just three simple ingredients and then topped with all your favorite pizza toppings. Easy, healthy, and delicious. Jump to Recipe
Portobello Mini Pizzas are a healthy, easy-to-make meal that takes a classic pizza to new heights. This low carb and keto-friendly pizza is packed with all the pizza flavor you crave just delivered on a delicious roasted portobello mushroom crust. Just in case you aren't a mushroom fan, we also love these Zucchini Pizzas and Eggplant Pizzas.
Pizza is a nearly universally loved food because it is so easy to customize to your own personal tastes. Every single part of a pizza can be swapped for something else, which is how we get to this mushroom crust. Then you can customize it with all your favorite pizza toppings.
The other reason I love these portobello mushroom pizzas is that it is a great way to sneak in extra veggies. While pizza normally isn't the healthiest option, swapping in a nutritious mushroom for the crust makes it a better for you option.
What Goes Into Portobello Pizzas?
Portobello pizzas are quite possibly the easiest pizza you will ever make – before toppings, there are only 3 ingredients in this recipe! and you could eat them just like this if you wanted.
- Portobello mushrooms: The crust for these veggie pizzas is a roasted portobello mushroom. This gives the pizza a hearty texture and a slightly nutty flavor from the mushrooms. Other mushrooms can be used but the pizzas will be more like a stuffed mushroom.
- Marinara sauce: Look for a marinara sauce that doesn't have any added sugar, especially if you are looking for a low-carb pizza. Our favorite is Rao's, but any marinara or pizza sauce will work.
- Cheese: Since we are making pizza, mozzarella cheese is the classic option since it melts well. However, you can swap in any cheese you like or even combine a few different types of cheese like using a combination of mozzarella and Parmesan.
- Toppings: This is the fun part! Add any toppings you like to your pizza.
How to Pick Out Portobello Mushrooms
Do you know what you’re looking for when you shop for portobello mushrooms or do you just buy a sealed pack of them and hope for the best?
Seriously, there are actually things you should be looking out for when you’re shopping for these delicious mushrooms, and it’s really only something you will be able to reliably find if you can pick them out individually.
Take a look at the dark gills on the underside of the caps, which should be dry. If they aren’t, that means the mushroom is a bit on the old side and won’t be good for much longer. They should also feel firm to the touch.
How to Prepare Portobellos
Now that you have your mushrooms, you need to do a little bit of prep work to get them ready to be used; the woody stems of portobello mushrooms are very tough – not really fit for eating – but don’t throw those stems away! They can be used to make a fantastic mushroom broth or soup base. Store them in the freezer.
With the stems removed, it's time to remove the gills. This is an optional step but in my opinion, it makes for a better pizza. The gills are incredibly easy to remove. Just use a spoon and gently scoop out the grills, like you would the soft top layer of a tub of ice cream.
Once you’ve removed the gills, wipe the top of the caps with a damp paper towel to make sure all the dirt has been removed. While not true for all mushrooms, you don’t need to skin portobello mushrooms as they are grown in clean environments.
Now your portobello mushrooms are ready to be made into pizza!
Healthy Portobello Pizza Topping Ideas
You could top your mini pizzas with anything you want, any of the traditional pizza toppings will work on your mini pizzas. But, if you’re looking for a list of healthy pizza toppings I’ve got you covered.
- Veggies: Bell peppers, onions, broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, arugula, sundried tomatoes, artichoke hearts
- Protein: Turkey pepperoni, chicken, turkey or chicken sausage, salami, ham, Canadian bacon, or meatballs
- Fun extras: Olives, pineapple, different cheeses, buffalo sauce, fresh herbs,
You can even substitute in different sauces if you like. Here are just a few ideas.
- BBQ Sauce
- Ricotta cheese
What to Serve With Portobello Mushroom Pizzas
These little pizzas are great on their own or with a simple side salad but you can also serve them with a few other amazing side dishes, like some of the recipes below:
- Salads: This is my go-to when serving pizza is this Kale Caesar Salad is at the top of the list. Any green salad with work or you could make a Greek Salad, one of our favorites.
- Roasted veggies: To add even more veggies to your meal, consider serving these portobello mushroom pizzas with some roasted green beans or roasted cauliflower.
- Soup: During colder months, it's fun to pair these pizzas with soup. This minestrone soup is a great option or this easy vegetable soup.
More Delicious Mushroom Recipes
Portobello Mushroom Pizzas
- Print Recipe
- Download PDF
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.