Creamy Ricotta Zucchini Noodles make the perfect low carb side dish with fresh zucchini noodles, creamy ricotta, garlic, and lemon.
If you are looking for a new way to serve zoodles, these zucchini noodles in a creamy ricotta sauce with fresh lemon and garlic are the perfect dish. Serve them with some yummy Italian Pesto Chicken or Pan Seared Salmon for a delicious, low-carb meal.
A few weeks back I shared this creamy ricotta spaghetti squash recipe that we have been eating constantly. It makes such a delicious low-carb side dish since it tastes indulgent, but is surprisingly low in calories. Inspired by that yummy spaghetti squash, I decided to try out another version using zucchini noodles and it came out just as delicious. You can play with the spices to match the main dish and I love adding some red pepper flakes to the oil to make things just a tad spicy.
These noodles also make a really great start to making a low-carb pasta dish. All you need to do is add your favorite protein on top and add some extra veggies if you like.
Looking for more easy low carb zucchini recipes? Try this delicious Low Carb Zucchini Lasagna.
Main Ingredients and Easy Swaps
- Zucchini noodles: This recipe works with almost any kind of vegetable pasta including zucchini, summer squash, spaghetti squash, butternut squash, or sweet potato. It will also work with low carb heart of palm noodles. Just adjust the cooking time based on the vegetable you use.
- Ricotta cheese: This adds the creamy and cheesy element to this dish. If you aren't a fan of ricotta cheese, you could swap in cream cheese or cottage cheese.
- Lemon zest: To add some brightness to the dish, lemon zest is the perfect addition. It can be skipped, but it won't have the same bright flavor. Lemon pepper seasoning would be a good substitute.
- Garlic powder: Garlic powder, minced garlic, or fresh garlic will all work in this recipe. Make sure to saute the garlic in the oil if using fresh garlic cloves.
- Fresh basil: To finish the dish, add some freshly chopped basil or parsley to the dish.
How to make zucchini noodles?
Zucchini noodles are the main ingredient in this dish. You can make your own noodles at home using one of the methods below or you can buy premade noodles in the produce or frozen food section of the grocery store.
- Spiralizer: If you have a spiralizer, simply cut the end off of the zucchini and place it in the spiralizer. Then crank or turn the spiralizer to create the noodles.
- Vegetable peeler: Use a sharp vegetable peeler to peel the zucchini into long strands. Then use a sharp knife to slice the larger strands into thinner, spaghetti-like strands.
Recipe Ideas and Tips
Here are some tips to make sure these ricotta zucchini noodles come out perfectly every time.
- Make sure not to overcook the zucchini noodles or they will become soggy and the extra liquid will cause the sauce to be watery. If you find the zucchini if releasing too much water, drain it off before adding the ricotta cheese.
- Make this dish spicy by adding some red pepper flakes to the olive oil.
- For even more garlic flavor, swap in minced fresh garlic cloves and saute them in olive oil when starting the dish.
- For an added burst of flavor, add some sundried tomatoes to the dish. Roasted red peppers also taste delicious in this dish.
- Add protein to this dish by adding some cooked shrimp, salmon, chicken, or tofu cubes.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some of the most common questions about preparing this recipe.
Absolutely! Any vegetable noodles will work with the creamy ricotta sauce. Favorites include spaghetti squash, sweet potato, heart of palm, and butternut squash noodles.
This recipe will also work with cream cheese or cottage cheese, although the flavor will change slightly. If you like a smoother sauce, use cream cheese and then add fresh Parmesan cheese.
These creamy ricotta zucchini noodles are best eaten immediately after being prepared since the zucchini will become soggy as it sits in the sauce. If you plan on making this in advance, prepare the sauce and noodles separately.
Creamy Ricotta Zucchini Noodles
- Print Recipe
- Download PDF
- 4 cups zucchini, cut in noodles
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 cup part skim ricotta cheese
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- 2 tbsp. chopped basil (or parsley)
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
Like this Recipe? Try our Meal Plans!
- Weekly Meal Plans
- Easy Shopping List
- Healthy, Low Carb, & Vegetarian
- Nutritional Information
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.