Two Ingredient Dough Breadsticks
These easy two-ingredient dough breadsticks taste just like fresh restaurant breadsticks but can be made at home with just two simple ingredients - Greek yogurt and self-rising flour. Add all your favorite herbs and toppings.
Two-Ingredient Greek Yogurt Dough Breadsticks are the perfect easy, healthier alternative to your favorite breadsticks. Made from a base of Greek yogurt and self-rising flour, these mouth-watering breadsticks are perfect for pairing with your favorite pasta and salads.
What could be better than buttery, melt-in-your-mouth delicious breadsticks? Easy. Buttery, melt-in-your-mouth delicious breadsticks that are made with only TWO ingredients. That’s right, just two! Spoiler alert: you’re going to want to bookmark this recipe for later.
Two-Ingredient Dough Breadsticks are a healthier alternative to your favorite restaurant’s breadsticks. Made with a base of protein-packed Greek yogurt and self-rising flour, these breadsticks combine the ease of buying pre-baked bread with all the health benefits of making bread at home.
This easy bread recipe can be used to make a wide variety of baked goods. I’ve made everything from pretzels and garlic knots to pizza using this handy two-ingredient dough recipe. Unlike other types of dough that need to rest for hours and hours, this dough can be used right away.
I like to add butter and parmesan cheese to this recipe to spice it up, but feel free to leave it plain or add anything you like. You could easily brush these breadsticks with a herb butter mixture or a mixture of minced garlic and olive oil for added flavor. The options are endless, so get creative and enjoy!
To make these two-ingredient breadsticks, you really only need two ingredients (as promised). However, for some added pizzazz, I like to include a couple extras. Here’s everything you need to whip up this low-carb bread recipe:
- Greek yogurt. Greek yogurt is what gives this two-ingredient dough its moisture. Although you might be tempted to use regular yogurt, Greek yogurt has the thickness necessary for this dough (not to mention tons of protein and nutrients).
- Self-rising flour. Self-rising flour is ingredient #2 of our two-ingredient dough. If you don’t have any on hand, you can easily make some at home using regular all-purpose flour, salt, and baking powder.
- Melted butter. Melted butter is a classic breadstick topping but is totally optional. I love using a low-fat option for a healthier alternative.
- Parmesan cheese. Parmesan gives these healthy breadsticks a deeper depth of richness and tons of added flavor. You could also try sprinkling these breadsticks with mozzarella or feta cheese, as well.
Two-Ingredient Dough Breadstick Recipe Tips
Here are some of my top tips for bringing these healthier breadsticks to life:
- Season them. For a little extra flavor, try brushing these breadsticks with olive oil and then sprinkling with Italian seasoning. Then, bake as usual.
- Brush with garlic butter. Garlic butter is a delicious glaze that will take these healthy breadsticks to the next level, flavor-wise. I always shoot for a low-fat option if there’s one available. And, for an even healthier version, try spraying the breadsticks with a butter spray and then dashing with garlic powder.
- Pair them with a dipping sauce. If you’re like me and love dipping everything in some kind of sauce, this recipe is perfect for you. Try pairing these breadsticks with an olive oil and herb mixture, marinara sauce, or a melted cheese sauce.
How to Serve Two-Ingredient Dough Breadsticks
Not sure what to do with these breadsticks? Well, if my girls had it their way their dinner plate would just be a pile of breadsticks. However, I like to serve Here’s some inspiration for ways to serve these healthy, two-ingredient dough breadsticks:
- As part of an Italian-inspired dinner. What says Italian-themed dinner night better than breadsticks? Try pairing these breadsticks with a mouth-watering pasta dish like my Spinach Artichoke Pasta.
- With marinara sauce. For a delicious snack or appetizer, you could eat these breadsticks on their own dipped in some marinara sauce or olive oil.
- With a salad. Nothing complements a salad better than some hot, buttery breadsticks. Try pairing these two-ingredient dough breadsticks with this Healthy Caesar Salad or this Chicken Cobb Salad.
- With soup. Every delicious soup needs some equally delicious bread to sop up all the extra goodness. I recommend pairing these breadsticks with some Healthy Minestrone Soup or this Easy White Chicken Chili.
What Is Two-Ingredient Dough?
Two-Ingredient dough is a magical culinary hack that saves you lots of time and calories. Made with a super simple combination of Greek yogurt and self-rising flour, this entire dough is ready in under 30 minutes and requires none of the endless kneading and wait time normally associated with homemade dough.
Self-rising flour is made from all-purpose flour mixed with salt and baking powder. You could also use a gluten-free variety of all-purpose flour, if needed. Regardless, self-rising flour takes the difficulty out of making dough at home and guarantees a healthier alternative for your baking needs.
To make, use a standard mixer to blend the Greek yogurt with the self-rising flour. Then, dump it onto a floured surface and knead into a loaf shape. Then, slice your breadsticks and voila. The recipe will take it from there.
Two-Ingredient Dough Breadsticks Storage Tips
To store these homemade breadsticks, you will need to let them cool down to room temperature and then seal them in an airtight storage container or bag. At room temperature, they should last about 3 to 4 days (if you can hold out for that long!).
To store for longer, these delicious breadsticks can be frozen for several months. When you’re ready to enjoy, simply reheat them in the oven at 350°F until warmed through
Pro Tip: Try to avoid refrigerating these breadsticks, as the cold air may cause them to dry out.
Frequently Asked Questions
Below are the answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about this homemade breadsticks recipe:
Can I use any kind of Greek yogurt?
Yes! While you will definitely need plain-flavored Greek yogurt, you can use any type you prefer. Full fat, low-fat, and non-fat Greek yogurt will all work totally fine. It’s important to make sure you use Greek yogurt and not regular yogurt, as that would alter the dough’s consistency.
Does two-ingredient dough rise?
Yes! Although it won’t rise quite as much as it would if it had yeast in it, the two-ingredient dough still rises like any other dough. The self-rising flour is what makes this dough rise, as it contains baking powder.
What if my dough is too sticky?
If your dough is too sticky for your liking, try adding a few more tablespoons of self-rising flour. This should help to even out the consistency. On the other hand, if your dough is coming out on the dryer side, try remedying it with a couple of extra tablespoons of yogurt.
More Healthy Side Dish Recipes
If you liked this recipe, check out these healthy side dishes next:
Two Ingredient Dough Breadsticks
- Print Recipe
- Download PDF
- 1.25 cups self rising flour
- 1 cup non fat Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp melted butter (optional or olive oil)
- 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt (or garlic powder)
Like this Recipe? Try our Meal Plans!
- Weekly Meal Plans
- Easy Shopping List
- Healthy, Low Carb, & Vegetarian
- Nutritional Information
To make the two ingredient dough: In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour and yogurt, stirring until they are well combined. If the mixture is too sticky, add a tablespoon of additional flour and continue to mix. Repeat as necessary until the mixture becomes a workable ball of dough. Remove the dough from the bowl and knead on a lightly floured surface, until the dough is smooth.
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Divide the dough 8 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a long piece about 8-10 inches long. Place each piece on a baking sheet, lined with parchment paper. Brush the top of each breadstick with melted butter or olive oil and sprinkle with garlic salt and cheddar or parmesan cheese, if desired.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.