These delicious homemade soft pretzels are made with just two ingredients and require no kneading or waiting around. Baked to golden-brown perfection in under 20 minutes, Two-Ingredient Dough Pretzels are the ultimate party snack.
Once upon a time, soft pretzels were a special treat that I only enjoyed on rare occasions like at carnivals, movie theatres, and baseball games. Then, the internet introduced me to two-ingredient dough. I have two words for you: Game. Changer.
Two-ingredient dough, made from an ultra simple combination of self-rising flour and Greek yogurt, quickly became my new best friend. Together we made pizzas, bagels, garlic knots, English muffins, and now—soft pretzels. These Two-Ingredient Dough Pretzels are everything good pretzels should be. They are crisp and golden on the outside, soft and chewy on the inside. Perfectly salted and beyond delicious.
No longer do I have to wait until I’m at the movies or the county fair to enjoy my beloved soft pretzel. I can whip up my trusty two-ingredient dough and then bake my very own pretzels in less than 20 minutes. I love them and my kids go absolutely nuts for them.
If you’re looking for a delicious party snack, try pairing your homemade pretzels with honey mustard or marinara sauce for dipping. Every time I’ve made this dish for family or friends, everyone has raved about how amazing and fun they were. This homemade pretzel recipe is quick, easy, and incredibly delicious. Try it out for yourself and let me know what you think!
To whip up these delicious salty snacks, you will need the following key ingredients:
- Self-rising flour: Made with a combination of all-purpose flour, baking powder, and salt, you can either purchase self-rising flour or easily make your own.
- Greek yogurt: This is what turns our flour to dough and gives our pretzels their nice, fluffy texture.
- Coarse salt: What pretzel would be complete without coarse salt sprinkled on top? Feel free to add additional seasonings if desired, like garlic or onion powder.
- Egg wash: Brushing this over the top of the pretzels ensures that they achieve that beautiful golden-brown color that sets them over the top.
What is Two-Ingredient Dough?
Two-ingredient dough is used to make a wide range of baked goods like pizza, bagels, English muffins, cinnamon rolls, and pretzels. The dough is made with a simple combination of Greek yogurt and self-rising flour. Greek yogurt adds just the right amount of moisture, helps to form the flour into dough, and can be swapped out for plain regular yogurt, sour cream, or dairy-free yogurt. The self-rising flour component is made from a combination of all-purpose flour, kosher salt, and baking powder.
Self-rising flour can be found in most grocery stores, but can also be made from scratch with the following ingredients:
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
Flavor Ideas for Soft Pretzels
If you’re looking to switch up the flavor profile of these homemade pretzels, here are some of my favorite recipe variations:
- Make them sweet. Try sprinkling a mixture of cinnamon and sugar over the pretzels or knead it into the dough for deliciously sweet pretzels.
- Spice them up. If you want to give your pretzels a little kick, try adding some crushed red pepper to the tops of the pretzels along with the salt.
- Turn them into pizza pretzels. I love adding mozzarella and turkey pepperoni slices to my pretzels before baking them. Once they’re finished, dip them in marinara sauce… It’s seriously amazing.
- Add a fun seasoning. Get creative and have fun with this! Try experimenting with a few different types of seasonings to see which one you like best. Some of my favorite seasonings to pair with pretzels include Ranch seasoning, garlic parmesan, and everything bagel seasoning.
- Make them dairy-free. If you’re vegan or allergic to dairy, you can easily swap out the Greek yogurt for your favorite coconut yogurt or another thick yogurt.
How to Store Homemade Pretzels
I don’t typically wind up with leftovers when I make these pretzels, but if you do—you’re in luck. This recipe is fantastic for making in batches because it keeps incredibly well! To store homemade pretzels, they should first be transferred to an airtight storage bag to prevent any oxygen from getting in and making the pretzels go stale. Once properly covered, the pretzels can be stored in one of three ways:
- On the counter for up to 24 hours
- In the fridge for up to 3 days
- In the freezer for up to 4-6 months
Frequently Asked Questions
Below you will find answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about homemade pretzels:
Two-ingredient dough can serve as the base for nearly any baked good imaginable! If you would normally use all-purpose flour to make your dough, you can probably use two-ingredient dough. Some great examples include donuts, cinnamon rolls, pizzas, bagels, and pretzels.
If needed, you can swap out the Greek yogurt in the two-ingredient dough for regular yogurt or a thick dairy-free yogurt like coconut yogurt. Since regular yogurt isn't as thick as Greek yogurt, make sure to strain it first. Start by placing the yogurt in a fine-mesh strainer over a bowl. Let drain for 15-20 minutes. Then measure out of the yogurt for the recipe.
You can enjoy these homemade soft pretzels on their own, or pair them with a flavorful sauce for dipping. My go-to options are cheese sauce and marinara sauce. Both are seriously amazing with pretzels!
Egg wash is often used in baking recipes to make pastries or other dough-based products shiny and golden-brown in appearance. It can also serve the purpose of helping toppings or seasonings stick to the dough. In this case, we use the egg wash both for the shiny golden-brown look and to help the coarse salt stick to the dough.
Homemade Soft Pretzels (with Two Ingredient Dough)
- Get in your Inbox
- 1 1/4 cup self rising flour
- 1 cup non fat Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- 1 egg (for wash)
Like this Recipe? Try our Meal Plans!
- Weekly Meal Plans
- Easy Shopping List
- Healthy, Low Carb, & Vegetarian
- Nutritional Information
Switch to prevent your screen from going dark.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Prepare the dough: In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour and yogurt, stirring until they are well combined, using a fork, if necessary. If the mixture is too sticky, add a Tablespoon of additional flour and continue to mix. Repeat as necessary until the mixture becomes a workable ball of dough. Remove the dough from the bowl and knead on a lightly floured surface, until the dough is smooth.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.