These homemade Watermelon Popsicles are made with fresh watermelon, lime juice, and honey for a refreshing and delicious summer treat! Made in the blender in less than five minutes. Jump to Recipe
For a delicious summer treat that is all-natural and free of artificial sugars, you have to try these Watermelon Mint Popsicles. Enjoy them by the pool for a midday snack or serve them after dinner as a refreshing dessert. These healthy popsicles are easy to make and bursting with incredible flavor! Watermelon lovers have to try this Two Ingredient Watermelon Ice Cream as well - the perfect summer treat!
Now that summer is officially here and you can break a sweat just walking to get the mail, my family has been going through watermelon like it’s nobody’s business. Maybe I’m biased because it’s one of my favorite summer fruits, but I personally think that watermelon was designed to be enjoyed on hot summer days.
Watermelon is loaded with nutrients, excellent for hydration, and is absolutely delicious. My family already adores the fruit as it is, so I figured why not turn it into an even dreamier treat? That’s when I got the idea for these delectable Watermelon Popsicles.
These popsicles take just a few minutes of work, followed by a few hours in the freezer. My two year old cannot get enough of these babies and that’s when you know it’s a winner! I love keeping these healthy popsicles in the freezer to enjoy after a day at the pool or a long walk in the sun. They also make an awesome beach snack if you pack them along in your cooler for a day in the sand.
Whether you’re looking for healthy snack recipes to enjoy after your workouts or healthy dessert recipes for your next backyard barbecue, these healthy Watermelon Popsicles are guaranteed to make the ultimate summertime treat. Try them out for yourself and let me know in the comments what you think!
Key Ingredients and Easy Swaps
To make these delicious popsicles, you will need the following key ingredients:
- Watermelon: The star of the show, watermelon has a delicious flavor and is perfect for hydrating on a hot summer day!
- Lime juice: The acidity in lime juice helps to bring out the bright and bold flavors of our other ingredients. Lemon juice will also work and this ingredient can be skipped for a sweeter popsicle.
- Honey: This helps to enhance the sweetness of the watermelon, making the popsicles extra tasty. Maple syrup or a low calorie sweetener like Stevia or monk fruit works as well.
- Fresh mint: This ingredient adds a beautiful freshness that brightens up our popsicles and makes them even more delicious and refreshing. This can be skipped for a more traditional watermelon pop.
Here are some of my favorite ways to switch up this recipe:
- Add some protein: For added protein and probiotics, try adding a cup of plain or flavored Greek yogurt to the blender with the other ingredients.
- Swap out the fruit: If you can’t find watermelon at the store or are trying to get rid of some fruit you have at home, don’t worry! You can swap out the watermelon for any kind of fruit you like.
- Make it creamy: To make these popsicles extra creamy, add a can of full-fat coconut milk. Not only does it make the texture creamy, but it also gives it a tropical twist and adds a ton of heart-healthy fats.
- Give it a kick: If you love spicy food as much as I do, then you’ve got to try the fruit and chili flavor combination! Try mixing a Mexican chili powder like Tajin into the popsicles for an added kick.
- Add the rind: No, I don’t mean an actual watermelon rind. For a super cute presentation for parties, try leaving the last inch of the popsicle molds empty and letting the watermelon portion freeze, then adding blended kiwi to give the appearance of a watermelon rind at the bottom of each popsicle. You can also add seeds with some chocolate chips.
- Make it boozy: If you’re hosting an adults-only pool party or backyard barbecue, try adding a little vodka or rum to the popsicle mixture before freezing them for boozy popsicles!
How to Store Homemade Popsicles
Being that these popsicles are frozen treats, they will need to be stored in the freezer. To help them retain their color, texture, and flavor the longest, I recommend removing them from the molds once they have been frozen and transferring them to airtight bags. Once stored properly, these healthy homemade popsicles can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months. While they won’t necessarily spoil after this time has passed, they will begin to lose their flavor and could develop freezer burn.
Frequently Asked Questions About Watermelon Popsicles
Below you will find answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about this summertime treat:
How do you make homemade popsicles?
The base of any homemade fruit popsicles is fruit! You can keep it super simple and just blend then freeze your favorite fruit, but I sometimes like to take it to the next level by adding honey and lime juice like I did in this recipe. Store-bought popsicles are often loaded with artificial sugars and preservatives, all of which you can cut out by making them from scratch.
What can I use to make popsicles?
If you don’t have your own popsicle molds, you can make your own using paper cups (like the kind you use for mouthwash) and plastic spoons or popsicle sticks. This can be a super fun DIY project to do with your kids!
How long do homemade popsicles last?
When stored properly, homemade popsicles will keep in the freezer for approximately 3 months. After this time, they may start to lose their flavor and develop freezer burn.
More Healthy Dessert Recipes
Like this healthy dessert recipe? Try these next:
Watermelon Mint Popsicles
- crop_freeCook Mode
- Print Recipe
- Download PDF
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.