Roasted Parmesan Summer Squash makes a tasty side dish and couldn't be easier to make. With a little Parmesan and EVOO, it tastes incredible. Jump to Recipe keyboard_arrow_down
Roasted Parmesan Summer Squash that's sliced in half, drizzled with olive oil and Parmesan cheese, and bakes in the oven until it is tender and sweet, makes the perfect healthy side dish for any meal.
Summer squash is one of those vegetables I love to cook, especially this time of year when it is sweet and you can find it everywhere. It's also so easy! Unlike winter squash there isn't any need to peel or prep the squash. All you need to do is slice it in half, add some olive oil and Parmesan cheese, and roast it in the oven. After about 20 minutes it comes out tender and full of flavor. Plus its low calorie and really good for you, making it a winning combination for dinner.
This recipe was inspired by a recipe from Martha Stewart where she roasted her veggies in about a gallon of oil and so much cheese. And although this might sound tasty, it's completely unnecessary. Using just a few tablespoons of oil and a really flavorful Parmesan cheese, you really don't need to go crazy. The squash itself has a delicious, sweet flavor and by adding just a small amount you can enhance that flavor and still keep things light and healthy.
Recipe Ideas for Roasted Summer Squash
This is one of those recipes, you can easily customize and make all different ways. Summer squash has such a mild flavor, it pairs well with so many different things.
- Add a thin layer of marinara sauce to turn these into mini vegetable pizzas. Kids love there.
- Finish the dish with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar or balsamic glaze right before serving.
- Add your favorite fresh herbs, dried herbs, or spices.
- To add some heat, sprinkle with red pepper flakes.
- If you love garlic then add some minced garlic to the summer squash as well. If you don't have fresh, garlic powder will work as well.
- Finish the dish with some fresh lemon juice and/or lemon zest. I like to add some chopped basil as well.
- These can be cooked on the grill during summer months. Just place some foil on the grill and cook the summer squash on top.
Tips for Making Roasted Summer Squash
- While I absolutely love using yellow summer squash, this would work great with zucchini and other squash as well.
- Consider adding some herbs or spices to complement your meal. This is delicious with rosemary, thyme, Italian seasoning, lemon pepper, garlic powder, or even some Cajun seasoning for something with a kick.
- Hard cheeses tend to have less calories than soft cheeses, which is why I opted for Parmesan in this recipe. However, you could definitely substitute in any type of cheese you love - romano, pecorino, mozzarella, cheddar, goat, feta, and blue cheese would all be delicious.
Main Dishes to Serve with Summer Squash
This recipe can be served with pretty much any main dish from grilled chicken to seafood to pork or beef. Here are some of our favorite pairings:
- Honey Garlic Chicken and Asparagus makes a main dish option and the summer squash is hearty enough to use in place of starch.
- This crispy Parmesan Crusted Chicken works great with the Parmesan flavor in the roasted squash.
- This Baked Blackened Tilapia is one of my favorite quick and easy fish recipes and it works great with the sweetness in the squash.
- My family goes crazy for these Crispy Pork Cutlets and I love serving them with lots of veggies.
- Whenever I serve this Easy Beef Chili, I like to make roasted squash or zucchini on the side. I scoop my chili right on top, it's delicious.
videocam Slender Kitchen Videos
Roasted Parmesan Summer Squash
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
Heat oven to 400 F. Slice squash lengthwise and place on a rimmed baking sheet. Mix olive oil and Parmesan in a small bowl. Using a small spoon spread a dollop of the mixture onto the flat surface of the squash. Roast for 25-30 minutes until cheese is slightly brown.
Enjoy hot, cold, or room temperature.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.