This Microwave Broccoli Cheddar Omelet is ready in under 5 minutes for a healthy, filling breakfast that can be customized any way you like. Plus it is low carb, gluten free, and under 200 calories.
A quick and easy breakfast, these Microwave Broccoli Cheddar Omelets are ready in under five minutes and full of flavor.
I don't know about you, but I tend to go on streaks when it comes to breakfast. I will literally eat oatmeal every day for weeks until I can't stand to look at another bowl of oatmeal again. Then I will switch things up and move onto eggs and do the same thing. If you haven't guessed already, right now is an egg streak and I have been making a ton of these microwave omelets. This one is a favorite. It's packed with with broccoli and two types of cheese, and it's delicious. Plus there are a million ways to make it your own and switch up your daily microwave omelet.
So let's talk basics when it comes to microwave omelets or egg mugs. Whether we like it or not, people have been cooking eggs in the microwave for decades. Normally this was happening at small donut and sandwich shops where eggs were quickly cooked in the microwave to make egg sandwiches. And turns out they actually turned out pretty good. Fast forward and now it's pretty popular to make eggs in the microwave. All it takes is a few whisked eggs, a touch of cooking spray, and a couple of minutes in the microwave. You can add all types of veggies, lean protein, and cheese. Virtually any type of omelet you like in under three minutes.
Tips for Making the Perfect Microwave Omelet
- The eggs will get nice and fluffy in the microwave but if they sit too long they will begin to deflate. Make sure to eat them soon after they cook so they stay fluffy and don't end up cold and rubbery.
- Cooking spray, butter, or oil is critical so that the egg doesn't stick to the mug. Make sure not to skip that step.
- If you are using raw or frozen vegetables, make sure to cook them first. Otherwise they won't cook through without overcooking the egg.
- When adding veggies, lean protein, or any other fillings, make sure to chop them small so that everything is completely heated through. Big chunks will remain cold in the center.
- Get creative! There are so many different ways to make these and it is the perfect quick and easy breakfast.
Find more Microwave Egg Breakfasts
- Tomato and Basil Egg Mug
- Canadian Bacon and Spinach Egg Mug
- Quinoa Breakfast Egg Mug
- Cheesy Mushroom Egg Mug
- Veggie and Goat Cheese Egg Mug
- Breakfast Pizza Egg Mug
This recipe was originally published in 2013 but has been updated with new photos and tips.
videocam Slender Kitchen Videos
Microwave Broccoli Cheddar Omelet
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- Spray a microwave safe bowl or mug with cooking spray. Add the broccoli and water. Cook for 1-1.5 minutes until broccoli is tender crisp. Drain any excess water.
- Add the eggs and egg whites. Use a fork to beat the eggs. Stir in the cheese, salt, and pepper.
- Microwave for 1 minute. Stir again and microwave for 30-60 seconds longer until eggs are puffed up and cooked through.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.