Balsamic Chicken with Mushrooms and Thyme is ready 25 minutes, tastes like a restaurant dish, and is healthy and low carb. Jump to Recipe keyboard_arrow_down
Balsamic Chicken with Mushrooms and Thyme is one of those meals that you will make over and over again. It has so much flavor, couldn't be easier to make, and tastes like a dish you would get in a restaurant or at a fancy dinner party.
This dish is quickly becoming one of my favorites. Golden brown chicken breasts, earthy mushrooms, a slightly sweet and tangy balsamic vinegar and thyme sauce, and a sprinkling of fresh parsley. Yum. As an added bonus it feels like a gourmet-style dish and comes together in under 25 minutes. Plus we usually grate some fresh Parmesan cheese on top or finish it with a good sprinkling of goat cheese. Nothing better.
I absolutely love dinners like this. They're fancy enough to serve for guests but simple enough to make at home any weeknight. And most importantly, it's a meal you can feel good about feeding your family. With only 214 calories and 5 grams of fat, it's good for you and also low carb, gluten-free, Paleo and Whole30 friendly. It's also all cooked in one pan, which makes clean up painless.
Here are some tips and tricks for making this Balsamic Chicken with Mushrooms and Thyme:
- Personally, I couldn't love mushrooms more but if they aren't your favorite, you could use zucchini, summer squash, or green beans instead.
- If you can't find chicken breast tenderloins for the recipe, just use a whole chicken breast and slice it down into smaller strips so that they cook more quickly and evenly.
- Thyme is my favorite spice to use in this recipe but you could substitute in Italian seasoning, oregano, rosemary, or marjoram. You could also use fresh herbs instead of dried if you have some on hand.
- Although parsley is a great way to add freshness to the dish, you could also add fresh basil or chives to finish the dish.
- One of our readers had a great idea to add cherry tomatoes during the last five minutes of cooking! Love it!
Looking for a side dish to try to serve with this yummy dish? Some classic pairings are brown rice, couscous, quinoa, a baked potato, or orzo. Or you could try:
- Zucchini Couscous
- Lemon Quinoa
- Parmesan Zucchini Noodles
- Or a simple vegetable like asparagus, roasted garlic broccoli, or Brussels sprouts
Here are some tools I use when preparing this dish:
- I am in love with this pan that I used to prepare this dish but you could use any heavy bottomed pan or cast iron since it can be on the pricey side. However, in my opinion, it's worth the investment since you will never have to replace it.
- High-quality balsamic vinegar: Since the balsamic vinegar is one of the main flavors in this recipe, it's really important to choose a high-quality one that will pack in the flavor and bring the right amount of sweetness and tartness. This doesn't mean you have to spend a fortune though. Personally, I usually buy the Whole Foods 365 Aged Balsamic Vinegar and also enjoy this one and this one.
Balsamic Chicken with Mushrooms and Thyme
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- 1.33 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
- 2 U garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2.5 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. thyme
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp. parsley, chopped
- shopping_cartGet IngredientsinfoNEW!
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.