If you’re a fan of the classic spinach artichoke dip, you’re going to love this spinach artichoke grilled cheese. Made with fresh spinach, artichoke hearts, and a creamy cheese blend, this drool-worthy sandwich is guaranteed to be a crowd-pleaser.
One day, I was devouring the spinach artichoke dip at one of my favorite restaurants when I suddenly had a thought: how incredible would this be in sandwich form? The first time I made this spinach artichoke grilled cheese, I knew I had struck gold. It was like this beloved appetizer dish was born to be transformed into a grilled cheese sandwich.
To make this mouth-watering spinach artichoke grilled cheese sandwich, all you have to do is mix together your filling, layer it onto your bread, then toast the sandwich to perfection over the stove.
With only a few minutes of prep time and a few more on the stove, this amazing dish comes together in around 15 minutes. It’s quick, easy, and seriously delicious.
I fell in love, my kids fell in love, and my husband was begging for another sandwich. Basically, no one can resist the spinach artichoke grilled cheese.
Serve this dish on its own (it’s super satisfying!) or pair it with a simple side dish like raw veggies, fresh fruit, or crackers. If you’re looking for a delightfully indulgent lunch, this is the recipe to try.
Spinach Artichoke Grilled Cheese Ingredients
Here are the key ingredients you’ll need to make this delicious grilled cheese sandwich.
- Fresh Spinach: For the best-tasting results, I always prefer to use fresh spinach. However, you can also use frozen spinach in a pinch. If you go that route, just make sure to thaw it completely and use paper towels to press out as much excess moisture as possible.
- Artichoke Hearts: What would a spinach artichoke grilled cheese be without the artichokes? You can find jarred or canned artichokes in the canned vegetable aisle of any grocery store. Defrosted frozen artichokes also work.
- Cream Cheese: To keep the fat content low, I like to use light cream cheese. You can use any kind of plain cream cheese you prefer. Make sure to soften it first.
- Mozzarella Cheese: This is the type of cheese traditionally used in spinach artichoke dip, which is why I also like to incorporate it into this grilled cheese. It’s creamy, gooey, and makes the dish so delicious!
- Deli Turkey Breast: This is totally optional, but you can’t go wrong with some thin-sliced deli turkey breast if you want to beef up this dish with a little protein.
- Wheat Bread: You can use any kind of bread you like. My personal preference is whole wheat bread, but sourdough, ciabatta, and rye would all work well.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
Want to make the best-ever spinach artichoke grilled cheese? Of course, you do! I’ve rounded up some of my top tips and tricks to help you create a seriously epic dish:
- Don’t want to use wheat bread? No problem. Just make sure to use a hearty bread to ensure that it can hold your spinach artichoke filling without falling apart of getting soggy.
- If you have leftovers of your filling, save it to use throughout the week to make the dish again. You could also use it to make quesadillas or even heat it on its own to serve as a dip with baked tortilla chips or crackers.
- You can leave out the turkey for a vegetarian option or swap it out for other meat like sliced deli ham, bacon, or shredded chicken.
Best Grilled Cheese Topping Ideas
As much as I adore this spinach artichoke grilled cheese, I also love switching it up from time to time. Luckily, there are plenty of awesome ways to make your own creative grilled cheese sandwich using foods you already have at home. Here are some of my favorite ideas for the best grilled cheese toppings:
- Grilled onions
- Sautéed mushrooms
- Fresh avocado
- Parmesan cheese
- Roasted red peppers
- Jelly or jam
- Grilled peaches
- Fresh herbs
Did I leave out your favorite topping for grilled cheese sandwiches? Let me know in the comments so I can try it out next time!
Spinach Artichoke Grilled Cheese Storage Tips
I’ll be totally honest here. Grilled cheese sandwiches are always best when served immediately, but you probably already knew that. With that said, you could easily prep your spinach artichoke mixture ahead of time. This is especially handy if you plan on serving the whole family.
Simply mix it all together and seal your mixture in an airtight container, then store it in the fridge for up to 2-3 days. When you’re ready to whip up your grilled cheese sandwiches, set it out at room temperature for 10-15 minutes and then proceed with the recipe as instructed.
Frequently Asked Questions
Below you can find some of the most common questions about this spinach artichoke grilled cheese recipe:
This is really more about preference than anything else. Personally, I love the richness that butter adds to the dish. However, mayonnaise adds a slightly tangy flavor and also helps to achieve a nice golden-brown color on the outside of your sandwich. It also has a higher smoke point than butter, which helps to prevent burning. Choose whichever you prefer.
I haven’t tried this myself, but you could absolutely give it a shot. All you would need to do is swap the cream cheese for a plant-based cream cheese (like cashew cream cheese) and swap the mozzarella for a dairy-free alternative that you like. If you try making a vegan spinach artichoke grilled cheese, let me know how it turns out!
Spinach Artichoke Grilled Cheese
- Print Recipe
- Download PDF
- 2 slices wheat bread
- 2 slices deli turkey breast (optional)
- 2 tbsp light cream cheese (softened)
- 3 tbsp part skim shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup canned artichoke hearts, chopped (well-drained)
- 1/2 cup fresh spinach
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp butter (optional)
- Salt and pepper
Like this Recipe? Try our Meal Plans!
- Weekly Meal Plans
- Easy Shopping List
- Healthy, Low Carb, & Vegetarian
- Nutritional Information
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.