A hearty and creamy Slow Cooker Vegetable Lentil Stew made with squash, potatoes, carrots, celery, and lentils.
If you are looking for a hearty vegan soup that comes together in a snap, try making this Slow Cooker Lentil Soup! This vegetable-based stew is made with squash, potatoes, carrots, celery, with lentils added for a punch of protein. You are left with this creamy veggie soup that really hits the spot.
For the past few nights, it has been really cold outside, and that just left me wanting a warm bowl of stew! Luckily, I had a batch of this delicious hearty soup waiting for me in the freezer.
This vegan lentil soup recipe is one that I make often but just haven't shared yet on the blog. But, after digging into a big bowl again last night, I knew I couldn’t keep this one to myself any longer!
This stew is creamy, rich, and full of good for you veggies and lentils. Plus, it honestly can only get better after having a few days for the flavors to soak together. So, whip up a big batch and freeze the leftovers for a quick meal on a cold night.
You won't be sorry- trust me!
Key Ingredients For Vegan Lentil Soup
Besides dry lentils, these are the other key ingredients you need to make this soup recipe at home:
- Butternut squash: Make sure the squash is peeled and cubed before adding it to the slow cooker pot. To save time on meal prep, you can also buy a bag of prepackaged butternut squash cubes.
- Spinach: Adding a few handfuls of spinach helps give the lentil soup it's green color as well as pack the soup with Vitamin K and magnesium.
- Garlic and onion: I don't know about you but everything tastes better with garlic and onions! They are a huge staple in flavoring the base of this lentil soup.
- Vegetable broth: You can buy a carton of organic vegetable broth at the store or you can make your own.
- Herbs de Provence: This mixture of herbs elevates this soup to a whole other level!
Note: For a full list of ingredients and detailed instructions on how to make this vegan lentil soup in the slow cooker, take a look at the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post!
What To Serve With Lentil Soup
When serving this homemade lentil soup recipe to my family, I also made a batch of this garlic mushroom quinoa to eat. It paired perfectly with the hearty lentil stew! You can also serve it with a few slices of your favorite bread or baguette to scoop up and clean out your bowl.
If I am being totally honest, just eating a bowl of this lentil soup on its own is good enough for me! It has everything I want in it already.
Recipe Tips And Ideas For Healthy Lentil Soup
Follow these tips to make sure that this stew comes out perfect every single time.
- If you want to add an animal-based protein to this lentil soup, I recommend adding some diced beef chuck in with the rest of the ingredients.
- For a spicy kick, you can also add in some Mexican chorizo as an additional protein option.
- Instead of vegetable broth, you can always substitute it with beef broth to add another layer of flavor.
Frequently Asked Questions About Slow Cooker Lentil Soup
Here are some questions I frequently get asked about by some readers…
Are lentils healthy?
Yes, they can be! Lentils are known to be high in protein and fiber while still low in fat which makes them the perfect vegan or vegetarian protein source.
They are also packed with iron, potassium, and folate. Want to learn more about lentils? Check out this Beginner's Guide to Lentils.
Should I use dry or canned lentils?
For this specific slow cooker recipe, it is best to use dry lentils since it will be cooking for a long period of time. If you decide to cook it on the stovetop, then you can use canned lentils.
What kind of lentils are best for this vegan lentil soup?
I found for this vegan lentil soup recipe that green and brown lentils work best!
Do you have to soak lentils before cooking them?
While you don't have to soak the lentils, I would recommend doing so. By soaking or even just rinsing the lentils, you are getting rid of any bad lentil pieces or any leftover debris.
What is Herbs de Provence?
Herbs de Provence is a mixture of dried herbs and spices typically consisting of bay leaf, basil, rosemary, thyme, tarragon, savory, oregano, and marjoram.
What if I can't find herbs de Provence to season the soup?
There are a few things you can do!
- You can make your own herbs de Provence using the mixture of herbs I mentioned above.
- If you aren't able to do so, just use an Italian seasoning mix.
More Lentil Recipes
Slow Cooker Lentil Soup
- Print Recipe
- Download PDF
- 2 cups butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 2 cups carrots, chopped
- 2 cups red potatoes, chopped
- 2 cups celery, chopped
- 1.5 cups dry lentils
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tsp herbs de provence
- 1 tsp salt (more to taste)
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 4 cups spinach
- 1/2 cup parsley
- Salt and pepper
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.