Healthy Peppermint Mocha
Healthy Peppermint Mocha that you can make at home in less than 5 minutes for just 62 calories and tastes as good as your favorite cafe.
This Skinny Peppermint Mocha for just 62 calories that is packed with chocolate and peppermint flavor for the perfect holiday drink. If you love these drinks at Starbucks, you will be so happy with this at home version!
I don't know about you but I have a hard time resisting all the delicious holiday coffee drinks that pop up virtually everywhere. Especially now that the cold weather has rolled in, I find myself tempted to buy a peppermint mocha every time I leave the house. And it doesn't help that there is a Starbucks in my grocery store, Target, and within walking distance of our house. But with 240 calories and 28 grams of sugar, it's an indulgence that I don't feel like I can treat myself to daily. And even a Skinny Peppermint Mocha has 160 calories and 13 grams of sugar.
Luckily, it's really easy to make one at home that tastes amazing and is much better for you. This easy, at home version has fewer calories, fat, and sugar than the original version and also doesn't have a bunch of artificial ingredients that are usually found in the store-bought versions. Plus it is really easy to customize so it is exactly as chocolatey, pepperminty, and sweet as you like. I even have a quick, microwave trick to make frothy, foamy milk at home in less than a minute. You will love it and your wallet and waistline will thank you.
Tips for Making the Healthy Peppermint Mocha
- For me, any good peppermint mocha has frothy milk. To make it at home, just pour your milk into a jar with a lid, making sure to fill it less than halfway. Then shake it vigorously for 30-60 seconds until it is nice and frothy and has doubled in volume. Remove the lid and microwave for 30-60 seconds until milk is warm and froth has moved to the top. Use a spoon to hold the froth in the cup and pour the warm milk into your coffee. Then use the spoon to scoop the foam on top.
- You have a lot of options for adding chocolate to your mocha. Personally, I like to use unsweetened cocoa powder and then add my own sweetener to taste. However you could also use sweetened chocolate syrup, there are even light options out there with less sugar
- Typically peppermint mochas use regular milk, but you can use any milk you like. The more fat the milk has, the richer the peppermint mocha will taste.
- For peppermint flavor, you have a few options. Typically, people use peppermint extract to make healthier minty mochas. However if you like Stevia, you could use a peppermint flavored Stevia that would add the peppermint flavor and sweetness at the same time.
- If you don't want to take the time to brew fresh coffee, I recommend this instant espresso powder that is surprisingly delicious for an instant coffee.
How is this different than a Starbucks Skinny Peppermint Mocha?
Typically a Starbucks peppermint mocha is made with two shots of espresso, 4 pumps of chocolate syrup, 2 pumps of peppermint syrup, and 2% milk. Usually, it also has whipped cream and chocolate shavings. The skinny version is the same but made with sugar free syrups and uses nonfat milk instead of skim.
This healthier version replaces the syrup with unsweetened cocoa powder, peppermint extract, and a touch of Stevia for sweetness. It also uses almond milk but any milk would work. It has less sugar and less artificial sweeteners than the Starbucks version.
Can I make this with espresso or a Nespresso machine?
Absolutely! Since many people don't have espresso machines at home, I wrote this recipe with regular coffee. However, if you can make espresso at home, substitute the coffee for two shots of espresso. I usually will use a full cup of milk in this option as well since the coffee flavor is stronger.\
Looking for more coffee recipes?
Here are some of the products and tools used for these Healthy Peppermint Mochas
- Coffee: I like really strong coffee for this drink since it is typically made with espresso. Since I don't like to brew a whole pot of really strong coffee, I always use this simple stovetop espresso pot. It's affordable, easy to clean, and makes excellent coffee.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder: You can use any kind of unsweetened cocoa powder you like. I use Cacao powder which has some extra health benefits.
Healthy Peppermint Mocha
- Print Recipe
- Download PDF
- 2/3 cup strong brewed coffee
- 2/3 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (or milk of your choice)
- 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 packets stevia ( or sweetener of choice)
- 1/8 tsp peppermint extract
Like this Recipe? Try our Meal Plans!
- Weekly Meal Plans
- Easy Shopping List
- Healthy, Low Carb, & Vegetarian
- Nutritional Information
Pour the remaining milk into a jar with a lid. Then shake it vigorously for 30-60 seconds until it is nice and frothy and has doubled in volume. Remove the lid and microwave for 30-60 seconds until milk is warm and froth has moved to the top. Use a spoon to hold the froth in the cup and pour the warm milk into the mocha. Then use a spoon to scoop the foam on top.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.