Chia Fresca - Simple and Refreshing Chia Lime Water
This refreshing Chia Fresca is a surprisingly delicious and healthy drink! Think of it like a healthier lemonade packed with nutrients and vitamins from the chia seeds.
Got too many chia seeds? Use them to make a refreshing glass of chia fresca (or chia lime water). You don't even need a blender for this drink! Chia fresca only requires 4 ingredients to come together: chia seeds, cold water, lime juice, and honey. That's it- it's that easy!
Sometimes, it is the simple recipes that stick out the most. There are days when I am so busy that I don't even have time to put fruit in a blender. Yes, that's pretty busy! Have you been there?
Even on days like that, I don't want to sacrifice my health for my frantic schedule.
I know all too well that when I take care of my body, it takes care of me. I have more energy to face my day if I use fuel that powers me through.
And that's where this recipe for chia agua fresca came from! It came from a place of needing nutrition and hydration that comes together in seconds. I have a feeling that you are going to love this drink as much as I do. We also love this Citrus Detox Water when you get bored with plain water.
What You’ll Need to Make Chia Fresca
There are literally only 4 simple ingredients in this drink. You probably already have what you need in your refrigerator and pantry.
Here is a bit more information about the ingredients, including any substitutions you can make:
- Water: Make sure it is nice and cold! The colder the water is, the more refreshing the drink will be. If your tap water has a bit of an aftertaste, use some bottled water. That will help the other ingredients stand out.
- Lime Juice: You only need two tablespoons, so buy a few limes and juice them. The jarred lime juice will work in a pinch, but it won't have the same robust taste as freshly squeezed lime juice does.
- Chia Seeds: Be careful not to use more than a tablespoon. When you use too many chia seeds, it makes the drink taste even thicker (almost like a pudding). As the chia seeds mix with the water, they plump up.
- Honey: Feel free to use your favorite sweetener! Just make sure that whatever you use is liquid so that it will dissolve better.
Note: For a complete list of ingredients and detailed instructions on how to make this chia drink, take a look at the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post!
What To Serve With this Chia Drink
This is such a refreshing drink, and it's also packed with healthy fats and protein. Since this tastes almost like a limeade, enjoy it with something that is just as light and refreshing.
Chop up some of your favorite in-season fruit and munch on them. You can also make some blueberry breakfast cookies and snack on them while you sip your drink.
Another healthy snack to enjoy with your chia smoothie is a homemade oatmeal bar. Talk about a fiber and protein overload! This will power you through after your workout.
Recipe Tips And Ideas
Follow these tips to make sure that this chia fresca turns out perfect every single time!
- Add apple cider vinegar to your chia drink. Some people like to add a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar because it has enzymes in it that help them feel refreshed.
- Use whole chia seeds. Either white or black chia seeds will work for this drink. If they are whole, they will taste better in the drink.
- Store chia seeds correctly. If you bought more chia seeds than you will use at once (even after you made yourself chia bowls), keep them in the refrigerator in an airtight container. They will stay fresh in the fridge for up to a year.
Frequently Asked Questions Making Chia Fresca
Here are some questions I frequently get asked about by some readers…
Why do people enjoy drinking chia fresca?
There are lots of reasons that people enjoy drinking chia seed detox drinks. They call them all sorts of names - elixirs, waters, and smoothies. No matter what you call it, people enjoy how it makes them feel.
I'm not making any health claims, but I know that chia seeds are packed with omega-3 fatty acids, which is good for your gut and brain. This is also a way to boost your vitamin C intake when you feel blah. Lemon and lime both are excellent sources of vitamin C!
If you struggle with drinking enough water, try to drink this agua fresca! It has a completely different taste and texture, but it still hydrates you just the same.
Can I add ice to my chia drink?
I do not think adding ice is a good idea. The chia seeds will stick to the ice, and that texture can be very distracting. If it doesn't bother you, go ahead and add ice. I personally prefer to refrigerate my fresca and use icy water instead.
Can I use lemon juice instead of lime juice?
Yes, you can use either lemon juice or lime juice in this recipe. Both choices add something a little different to the drink, but they both work equally as well as each other.
If you want it to taste sweeter, use the lime. If you want it to have more of a tart flavor, use the lemon.
How do I make this chia agua fresca keto-friendly?
The only thing about this recipe that isn't keto-friendly is the honey. Instead of honey, use a liquid sugar substitute like liquid erythritol, and you got yourself a low-carb drink!
More Delicious Chia Recipes You’ll Love:
Chia Fresca - Simple and Refreshing Chia Lime Water
- Print Recipe
- Download PDF
- 1.5 cups cold water (or coconut water)
- 2 tbsp lime juice (or lemon juice)
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1.5 tsp honey (adjust to taste)
Like this Recipe? Try our Meal Plans!
- Weekly Meal Plans
- Easy Shopping List
- Healthy, Low Carb, & Vegetarian
- Nutritional Information
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.