Creamy Gorgonzola Dressing
Creamy Gorgonzola Dressing is a lightened-up version of your favorite creamy dressings. This healthy homemade salad dressing is made with Greek yogurt, gorgonzola cheese, low-fat buttermilk, and vinegar. Serve it with salads or use it as a dip for veggies and crackers!
Wholesome, easy to make, and bursting with mouth-watering flavors—this Creamy Gorgonzola Dressing is everything you could possibly want in a salad dressing. Made with just a handful of simple ingredients, this dressing is ready in 5 minutes of prep time and is guaranteed to become an instant household favorite.
Gorgonzola cheese is a specific type of blue cheese known for its creamy texture and earthy, salty flavor. For this recipe, you could easily swap gorgonzola for blue cheese or any other pungent, semi-soft cheese that you happen to have on hand.
Most creamy salad dressings are loaded with fat and calories, which is why I’ve recently begun experimenting with my own healthier versions. Out of all my creations, this Creamy Gorgonzola Dressing is easily my favorite lightened-up swap for the real thing.
Rather than loading it up with mayonnaise and artificial ingredients, we use a combination of Greek yogurt and creamy Gorgonzola cheese for the base of this dressing.
I love drizzling this dressing over all of my favorite salads and grain bowls. It also works spectacularly as a dipping sauce for raw veggies and crackers, if you’re in the mood for a healthy snack. You’re gonna love it!
To make this mouth-watering salad dressing, you will need the following key ingredients:
- Greek yogurt: This is the perfect protein-packed base for a super creamy salad dressing. Full-fat, low-fat, and non-fat yogurt all work fine, so choose your favorite.
- Gorgonzola cheese: This cheese is the key to getting a really flavorful and indulgent salad dressing. If you can’t find any, feel free to swap it out for blue cheese or another pungent semi-soft cheese.
- Buttermilk: This adds to the richness and also helps us achieve the perfect consistency. To keep this dressing on the lighter side, I like to use low-fat buttermilk. If you like a thinner dressing, you’ll want to add a little more buttermilk.
- White vinegar: This mild vinegar lends just enough acidity to enhance the flavors of the rest of our ingredients.
- Worcestershire sauce: This is essential for adding just the right touch of umami to this delicious salad dressing.
- Chives: Fresh chives add a ton of freshness and great flavor to the dish. Feel free to swap them out for green onions, if needed.
Recipe Tips and Variations
Looking to make an absolutely mouthwatering dressing? Well, of course, you are! To help with that, here are my top tips for making this dressing your own:
- Add some heat. If you want to kick this dressing up a notch, try adding a pinch of cayenne pepper before mixing it all up.
- Make it sweet. If you prefer things on the sweeter side, try adding a drizzle of honey to the dressing.
- Add a garnish. If you’re serving this dressing as a dip, garnish it with some extra chives or cracked black pepper for a show-stopping presentation.
- Lemon. For a little extra punch and freshness, try adding a squeeze of fresh lemon juice to the dressing.
How to Serve Creamy Gorgonzola Dressing
You might think that salad dressing serves one purpose—to dress your salads. While that’s a fair assessment, this creamy dressing can do so much more. In addition to serving as the perfect dressing for salads and grain bowls, it also works great as a dip for everything from fresh veggies to chicken wings.
Not sure where to start? Here are some of my favorite dishes to serve with this dressing:
- Salads. This is the classic pairing! Gorgonzola dressing tastes absolutely delicious atop all your favorite salads. Drizzle it across any of your favorite salads. I recommend this Easy Arugula Salad or this Easy Spring Mix Salad.
- Fresh veggies. This dressing can easily serve as the perfect dip for all your favorite vegetables. Some of my top choices include carrots, cucumbers, celery, cherry tomatoes, broccoli, and cauliflower.
- Bread. I don’t know about you, but I’m a big fan of dipping my bread into creamy sauces. Try pairing this gorgonzola dressing with some toasted pita bread or Two Ingredient Dough Breadsticks.
- Chips. This dressing is perfect for dipping chips into game day parties. I recommend Baked Potato Chips, Microwave Veggie Chips, or your favorite tortilla chips.
- Chicken wings. This creamy dressing was honestly born to be served with hot and crispy chicken wings. I recommend these Baked Buffalo Wings.
How to Store Homemade Dressing
Homemade dressings like this Creamy Gorgonzola Dressing store incredibly well in the fridge, so don’t be afraid of winding up with leftovers. I recommend storing leftover cream-based dressing in an airtight jar or storage container in the fridge for up to 5-7 days.
Because this salad dressing is made with dairy, I don’t recommend storing it in the freezer. Dairy-based dressings and dips tend to separate and become clumpy after being frozen, so try to finish it off within a week. With a dressing this delicious, it shouldn’t be hard!
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are the answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about this healthy homemade salad dressing:
Is this dressing healthy?
Yes! While most creamy salad dressings are loaded with calories and fat, this gorgonzola dressing is a delicious, healthier alternative. By making your dressing at home, you can significantly cut down on the sugars and fats found in store-bought salad dressings.
Can I use a different kind of cheese?
Absolutely. If you can’t find any Gorgonzola at the store or simply want to try something else, I recommend using blue cheese, feta cheese, or goat cheese in its place.
What does gorgonzola taste like?
Gorgonzola is a type of blue cheese that is known for its signature earthy, salty taste and creamy texture. Its flavor varies depending on how long it has been aged for, so keep that in mind when browsing the dairy aisle. If you prefer a more mild flavor, opt for the Italian Gorgonzola Dolce variety.
Creamy Gorgonzola Dressing
- Print Recipe
- Download PDF
- 3/4 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 3/4 cup crumbled gorgonzola cheese (more to taste)
- 1/4 cup low fat buttermilk (more for a thinner dressing)
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 2 tbsp chives, minced (or green onions)
- 1 tsp garlic powder(more to taste)
- 1/4 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Like this Recipe? Try our Meal Plans!
- Weekly Meal Plans
- Easy Shopping List
- Healthy, Low Carb, & Vegetarian
- Nutritional Information
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.