Have y'all heard of 3-2-1 cakes aka Magic Cakes aka Microwave Mug Cakes? I am pretty sure I am really late to the game on this one but lately they have been filling my Instagram feed. So let's start with what a 3-2-1 cake is. Essentially a 3-2-1 cake is an individual serving of microwave cake. It was originally made by combining one package of angel food cake mix with another packaged cake mix of your choice. Then you just add water and microwave. That's it!
It get its name because you use 3 tablespoons of cake mix, 2 tablespoons of water, and then microwave it for 1 minute in a mug or bowl sprayed with cooking spray. Since the base recipe is so simple, the combinations for this microwave mug cake are endless. You can add or top it with so many different things - chocolate, peanut butter, nuts, whipped cream, fruit, pumpkin, pudding, cocoa powder, you get the gist. And perhaps best of all it comes in at just 80 calories and 2-3 PointsPlus® for the basic mix. Sounds pretty great and simple. Granted, it's not the healthiest dessert option out there but great when you are really craving cake and want to save on calories or being tempted with leftovers for days.
So today I bring you the 3-2-1 cake and some of the delicious ways you can doctor it up! Are you a fan of this cake? How do you make it your own? Please share in the comments.
1. Basic 3-2-1 Cake: Combine 1 package of angel food cake mix with 1 package of regular cake mix (any flavor will do - chocolate, vanilla, spice, lemon, etc.). Store in an airtight container. When ready to serve add to a microwave safe dish sprayed with cooking spray. Stir in 2 tablespoons of water and microwave for 1 minute. Done.
2. Molton Chocolate/Candy 3-2-1 Cake: Follow the same instructions above but mix the cake mix in a separate container. Add half the batter to the mug and place a chocolate or candy in the center - a Hershey kiss, mini candy bar, or chocolate chips would work great. Pour remaining batter on top and microwave. For double chocolate, use a chocolate cake mix with the angel food cake mix for the batter.
3. Caramel Apple 3-2-1 Cake: Start by microwaving 1/2 chopped apple in a mug until soft. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Add half of the cake batter (vanilla works best) and then one caramel candy in the center. Add remaining batter and microwave. You could also drizzle caramel on top after instead.
4. Banana 3-2-1- Cake: Follow the regular directions and add 1/4 cup mashed banana to the batter. No one would blame you for adding 1 tsp. of melted peanut butter on top or mixing in some PB2 either.
5. Pumpkin Spice 3-2-1 Cake: Add 2 tbsp. canned pumpkin and 1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice to your batter for a perfect fall treat.
I would love to know if there is a homemade recipe for creating your own cake mix for these creations. Please share if you have one!
The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.