There is nothing better than curling up on the weekend with a warm, comforting bowl of soup, especially when it is spicy and warms you to the core. You know what I am talking about, the kind of spice that warms your belly from the inside out and makes you feel warm and fuzzy. Maybe you don’t think a soup can do that, but this soup can. The recipe is one that I got from a former student’s Mom – she made it with pork shoulder but I decided to make it this time with chicken breast – next time I will try it with lean pork shoulder. It would also work great with chicken thighs. This also for most people is probably a weekend meal – it is a bit of a time consuming recipe but totally worth it – and then you can eat it all week.
Red Chicken Pozole
Serving Size: 1.5 cups
Weight Watchers® PointsPlus®: 4 *
Ingredients for Soup
8 cups low sodium, fat free chicken broth
2 oz dried guajillo chiles, stemmed and seeded
2 oz dried ancho chiles, stemmed and seeded
1 bunch cilantro plus more for garnish
26 garlic cloves (seriously!)
1 large quartered white onion
1 tsp dried Mexican oregano
1.5 pounds chicken breast
1 tbsp dried oregano
45 oz canned hominy
1 tsp vegetable oil
2 cups boiling water
Queso fresco (add 1 point per tablespoon)
Baked corn tortilla (add 1 point for every 2 small corn tortillas)
Avocado (add 2 points for a quarter avocado)
Chopped jalapenos (if you want more heat)
- Add eight cups of chicken broth to a large soup pot. Add 3/4 of the white onion, the cilantro bunch, 2o garlic cloves, oregano, and 2 tsp salt. Bring to a slow boil and add in the chicken breasts and cook until just cooked through and the meat can be shredded.
- Remove the chicken once it is cooked and set aside until it is cool enough to shred. Then using a slotted spoon (or you could strain the entire soup) pull out the garlic, onion, and cilantro and add it to a blender. Add 1.5 cups of the cooking broth and blend. Add back to the broth.
- Meanwhile, while the chicken is cooking, toast the dried chiles in a saute pan on the stove for 30 second per side over medium heat. They should become fragrant but not burn. It will likely take 3-4 batches to toast all the chiles. Once they are toasted, place them in a large bowl and cover with 2 cups of boiling water. Cover and let sit for 30 minutes.
- After the chiles have rehydrated in the boiling water for 30 minutes, add the chiles and their cooking liquid to a blender and blend with the additional 6 garlic cloves and 1/2 tsp salt.
- Once the chiles are blended, warm up the vegetable oil in a large saute pan. Add the blended chiles and cook for 8-10 minutes until fragrant, stirring frequently. Then add into the broth and simmer for ten minutes to combine the flavors.
- Add hominy to the soup and allow to cook for 7 minutes.
- Add shredded chicken broth and simmer for an additional 4 minutes.
- Serve in bowls and add your favorite garnishes – I love mine with a crunchy baked tortilla, queso fresco, cabbage, and lots of lime juice.
- Enjoy! This soup is even better the next day and keeps well! I always make a huge batch.
* PointsPlus® calculated by Slender Kitchen; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
Do you like these recipes?
Check out our healthy meal plans featuring
recipes just like this.
- Weekly Meals Plans for 2 or 4
- Nutritional information including PointsPlus®
- Complete, categorized shopping lists
I’m Kristen and I couldn’t be happier you are here. You will find a variety of healthy and delicious recipes that will not only taste great, but help you fit in your favorite jeans.
You May Also Enjoy:
Never Miss a Recipe!
Get the latest recipes directly in your inbox.
Add a Comment...
Never Miss a Recipe
Recent PostsPopular Posts
- Healthy Meal Planning Made Easy & Week 23 Meal Plan May 28, 2015 0 comments
- Creamy Artichoke Dip with Jalapenos May 27, 2015 1 comment
- Creamy Spinach, Tomato, and Mushroom Pasta May 26, 2015 0 comments
- Low Carb Lemon Cottage Pancakes May 25, 2015 0 comments
- Healthy Hiking with LÄRABAR & a Giveaway! October 26, 2014 113 comments
- Cheesy “Fried” Mozzarella Bites & SkinnyTaste Giveaway October 13, 2014 112 comments
- Holiday Giveaway! December 14, 2013 94 comments
- Great Freezer Meals and Glad Give Away June 11, 2012 75 comments
- 100 Calorie Recipes
- 100 Calorie Snacks
- 150 Calorie Recipes
- 200 Calorie Recipes
- 250 Calorie Recipes
- 300 Calorie Recipes
- 350 Calorie Recipes
- 400 Calorie Recipes
- 50 Calorie Recipes
- All Recipes
- Asian Recipes
- Baking Recipes
- Beef Recipes
- Breakfast Recipes
- Clean Eating
- Crock Pot
- Dairy Free Recipes
- Egg Recipes
- Freezer Friendly
- Healthy Cooking 101
- Healthy Living
- Holiday Meals
- Low Calorie Recipes
- Low Carb
- Low Carb Slow Cooker Recipes
- Main Course
- Meal Plans
- Member Lowcarb Meal Plans
- Member Meal Plans
- Member Resources
- Member Vegetarian Meal Plans
- Paleo Recipes
- Pork Recipes
- Quick Healthy Recipes
- Side Dishes
- SK Products
- Slow Cooker Sundays
- Snacks and Appetizers
- Top Five Lists
- Vegan Recipes
- Vegetable Recipes
- Weight Loss Wednesday
- Working Out