I came around to Shepard's Pie in the last couple of years after having a mind blowingly good version in one of my favorite comfort food restaurants. A friend had ordered it and when it came out, I was dying to try it. So much better than I remembered it being as a kid. Lately, inspired by that meal, I have been playing around with all kinds of Shepard's Pie recipes inlcuding this shortcut vegetarian version using kidney beans. Since everything is prepared stove-top and the 30-45 minutes of baking is eliminated it all comes together much quicker. It can also be made ahead of time and then just quickly reheated for dinner. In fact, it will taste even better if you plan it this way.
Vegetarian Shortcut Shepard's Pie
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- 1/2 U onion, diced
- 2 U garlic cloves, minced
- 1.5 tbsp. olive oil
- 20 oz. canned kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups frozen peas, carrots, and corn
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2.5 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce (vegan)
- 3/4 tsp. dried thyme
- shopping_cartGet IngredientsinfoNEW!
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.