Vegetarian Egg Roll Bowls are a healthier, meatless version of your favorite egg rolls that are ready in about fifteen minutes. Jump to Recipe keyboard_arrow_down
Vegetarian Egg Roll Bowls pack in all the flavor of your favorite egg rolls in an easy to make, healthy skillet meal that comes together in less time than it takes to order take-out.
I don't know about you but I sure do love a good egg roll, and as much as I love the crispy exterior, what I really love is the cabbage and carrot packed filling. When it's done right it's crunchy, slightly sweet from the cabbage, and has a punch of ginger and garlic. Well that love got me thinking that it would be pretty easy to create a skillet version of this dish at home using just a few simple ingredients.
It all starts with a healthy amount of onions, garlic, and fresh ginger. This creates the base flavors for the dish. To that I added my favorite vegetarian crumbles, plenty of cabbage and carrots, some edamame for extra protein, and a good dose of soy sauce and rice vinegar. That's really all there is. I add some Sriracha as well since I love everything spicy, but you can definitely leave it out or let everyone add their own.
Here are some ways to customize these Vegetarian Egg Rolls
- If you don't like vegetarian crumbles, you could use tempeh, seitan, baked tofu, or your favorite beans or lentils. You could also use regular drained tofu but I find it makes things a little mushier than I like.
- If you need some crunch, sometimes I cut egg roll wrappers into strips and bake them in the oven for 5-7 minutes at 400. Then just serve them on top for all the crispy texture without all the extra grease.
- Think about adding some fresh herbs to the final mixture if you want to create an egg roll/spring roll hybrid. I love adding chopped cilantro and mint to the final product.
- If you are missing the egg roll dipping sauce, drizzle some hoisin sauce on top before serving.
Vegetarian Egg Roll Bowls
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- 1 tbsp sesame oil (or olive)
- 1/2 U red onion, diced
- 2 U garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp ginger, minced
- 1 lb. vegetarian crumbles
- 6 cups coleslaw mix
- 1 cup shelled edamame
- 4 tbsp reduced sodium soy sauce (or coconut aminos)
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tsp Sriracha (optional)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- shopping_cartGet IngredientsinfoNEW!
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.