I fell in love with Cashew Chicken on a recent trip to Thailand and have been making it almost weekly since we got home. We both love cashews and anything spicy so this dish is a favorite. The other night we were craving it again, but I had a vegetarian friend coming for dinner so I decided to make a meatless version with tofu and we loved the results. The tofu gets nice and crispy in the wok and it absorbs all the delicious flavors of the sauce. Honestly we didn't even miss the chicken.
videocam Slender Kitchen Videos
Thai Cashew Tofu
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- 1/4 cup cashews
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 4 U garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 U onion, sliced
- 16 oz. extra firm tofu, cut into cubes
- 1 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp. low sodium soy sauce (GF if needed)
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1/3 cup oyster sauce (vegetarian version or mushroom sauce)
- 8 U green onions, sliced
- 4 U dried Thai red chili pepper, halved (adjust to taste, this is spicy)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Roast the cashews on a baking sheet until golden brown, about 5-7 minutes. Press out any excess moisture from the tofu. Toss with cornstarch.
- Heat oil over medium high heat in a skillet or wok. Add the garlic and onion and cook for one minute. Add the tofu and cook for 3-4 minutes until lightly browned on all sides.
- Add the vegetable broth and cook for 4-5 minutes over high heat until broth mostly evaporates.
- Add the soy sauce, oyster sauce, and brown sugar. Stir. Add the green onions, dry chilies, and cashews. Cook for 1-2 minutes. Taste and add additional soy sauce or sugar if needed.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.