If I am eating Thai food you can be assured that I have ordered some version of the Thai Basil dish on the menu. I just love the combination of the earthy Thai basil and the usually insane spiciness form the Thai red chili peppers. After a trip to Thailand last year when I ate my weight in Thai Basil, I was dedicated to figuring out how to make some at home versions that tasted as good. Since it is hard to find Thai red chili peppers, I used Asian garlic chili paste instead to create the heat and if you can't find Thai basil, regular basil will work just fine. Then everything is stir-fried with seitan, lots of veggies, garlic, ginger, and a combination of soy sauce and oyster sauce to bring everything together. Yum.
Thai Basil Vegetable Stir-fry
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil, divided
- 4 U scallions
- 2 U garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- 1 lb. seitan, sliced thin
- 2 cups asparagus, chopped
- 2 cups broccoli, chopped
- 1 U red pepper, sliced
- 1 cup baby corn
- 3 tbsp. low sodium soy sauce (or coconut aminos)
- 2 tbsp. oyster sauce (vegetarian version)
- 1/2 cup Thai basil (or regular basil)
Heat the coconut oil over medium high heat in a pan or wok. Add in the garlic, ginger, green onions. Cook for 1 minute. Add the seitan and cook for 3-4 minutes until beginning to brown, stirring often. Add the asparagus, broccoli, and red pepper. Cook until the vegetables are just tender, about 3-4 minutes. If the vegetables begin to burn, add 1-2 tablespoons of water.
Add the soy sauce, oyster sauce, chili paste, and basil. Cook for 30 seconds and remove from heat. Taste and season as needed with additional soy or chili sauce.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.