One of my favorite healthy lunches is stuffed zucchini and summer squash. I like to make up a big batch on Sunday and then eat it throughout the week for a quick veggie packed lunch I can feel good about. Lately I have been on an enchilada kick and using enchilada sauce on everything from eggs to rice to these simple black bean stuffed squash. Between the earthy black beans, spciy enchilada sauce, and melty cheese, they make a satisfying and delicious meal.
videocam Slender Kitchen Videos
Tex Mex Stuffed Summer Squash with Black Beans
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- 4 U summer squash (or zucchini)
- 2 cups canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 U garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup onion, minced
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 cup enchilada sauce
- 1/2 cup reduced fat shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Scoop out the center of the summer squash. Chop the summer squash you scooped out to be part of the filling.
- Add the black beans, garlic, red bell pepper, scooped out squash, and onion to a medium high skillet. Cook 5-7 minutes until tender.
- Add the cumin, salt, and pepper. Then stir in the enchilada sauce.
- Fill each summer squash and place in a baking dish. Sprinkle cheese on top.
- Cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake 10 more minutes.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.