I feel like I could have a whole blog dedicated to spaghetti squash with how often I consume it. Its a bi or ever tri-weekly occurrence and I don't really know what I would do without it. While I like to mix things up and try recipes like spicy Asian spaghetti squash, spaghetti squash Greek salad, or spaghetti squash meat lasagna boats just to name a few, today’s recipe is actually what you will find me eating most often. Usually I make up a big batch of the sauce every few weeks and freeze it in individual portions and then just roast or microwave a spaghetti squash when its meal time. Easy, spicy, and delicious.
videocam Slender Kitchen Videos
Spicy Turkey Bolognese Spaghetti Squash
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- 2 U spaghetti squash
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 U celery, diced
- 1 U carrot, diced
- 4 U garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes (or more)
- 1 lb. 99% lean ground turkey
- 28 oz. can whole peeled tomatoes
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup basil
- Prepare the spaghetti squash in the oven or microwave. To roast, preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Cut the squash in half and scoop out the seeds. Spray with cooking spray and place on a baking sheet covered in foil. Bake for 45-60 minutes until tender. To microwave pierce the squash all over with a knife or fork. Cook each squash whole for 10-12 minutes until tender. Carefully cut in half and remove seeds. Scrape the squash away from the skin using a fork.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, and carrot. Cook for 6-8 minutes until tender. Add the garlic and chili flakes. Cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add the turkey and brown until just cooked through. Add the tomatoes. Using a wooden spoon or potato masher, break the tomatoes up to your desired size. You could also use tomato sauce if you like a smoother sauce.
- Simmer for 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Serve over spaghetti squash with basil.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.