When it starts to get cold, I inevitably want soup of all kinds and varieties, and am perfectly content eating soup for dinner every night. This recipe for Wild Caribbean Black Bean Chili is adapted from the Joy of Cooking and is a great twist on a traditional chili. It can be made in the crock pot or on the stove and creates an intense, spicy, and yet subtly sweet chili that will be different than anything you have had before. Great on it’s own or as a twist in any dip or recipe that calls for chili.
videocam Slender Kitchen Videos
Slow Cooker Wild Caribbean Black Bean Chili
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- 2 cups dry black beans
- 2 U onions, finely diced
- 1/2 U habanero pepper, minced ( or 3 to 4 tbsp minced jalapenos)
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 U orange, juice and zest
- 1 U lime, juice and zest
- 14 oz canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups water (or broth)
Rinse and soak the bean overnight if you desire. Normally I find if I add 2 hours of cooking time, I can skip soaking the beans.
Combine all the ingredients in your slow cooker and cook for 6-8 hours.
Add more water or chicken broth along the way if needed. Serve on it’s on as chili, over rice, or as a side dish.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.