Ropa vieja has always been one of my favorite Cuban dishes and it's one of my go-to dishes to make for a dinner party since the slow cooker does most of the work for you. However when recently faced with coming up with a vegetarian version for a friend's potluck, I had no idea where to start. The dinner was a vegetarian Cuban themed get together and she was counting on me for a main dish. After lots of research, I found this delicious recipe from Robin Robertson and couldn't have been happier with the results. The seitan and mushrooms add a meaty texture and the spices and tomatoes round out the dish nicely. With some rice and plantains, it's the perfect Cuban meal.
Slow Cooker Vegetarian Ropa Vieja
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 U onion, sliced thin
- 1 U green bell pepper, sliced thin
- 1 U red pepper, sliced thin
- 4 U cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 1.5 tsp. ground cumin
- 6 U portobello mushrooms caps, sliced thin
- 1.5 cups canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1.5 cups crushed tomatoes
- 1.5 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 U bay leaf
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- Salt and pepper
Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and peppers. Cook for 6-8 minutes until tender. Add the garlic, tomato paste, and cumin. Cook for 2-3 minutes until fragrant.
Add this to the slow cooker along with all the remaining ingredients, except the cilantro. Stir together and cook on low for 6 hours.
Serve with fresh cilantro.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.