Lately lentils have become a favorite in my diet since I am feeling a little beaned out. (We're pretending bean is a verb). Like beans, lentils are packed with lots of good for your fiber and protein, and also contain folic acid, magnesium, and iron. Additionally, and a serious bonus, is that they are very quick cooking. This slow cooker recipe could easily be made on the stovetop, just reduce the amount of broth to a ratio of 2:1 for the lentils, bring the lentils and liquid to a boil, then turn down to a simmer and cook for 20-30 minutes until tender. They won't come out quite as creamy, but they will still taste delicious.
Todays' recipe is meant to be a base recipe that you can jazz up however you like. I always add extra veggies to my lentils and then depending on my mood, I adjust them using the ideas below. If you make a big batch, you can divide it up into different meals with different flavor comibinations and freeze them for later. Lentils freeze well. What are your favorite flavor combinations for lentils?
- Plain: Eat it as is! It’s delicious all on it’s own.
- BBQ: Toss tonight’s lentils with 1 cup of your favorite BBQ sauce, adjusting points and calories accordingly. Sounds strange but it’s delicious
- Italian: Stir in 14 oz. diced Italian tomatoes and top with some fresh basil.
- Asian: Add 3-4 tbsp. green or red curry paste.
Slow Cooker Red Lentils
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- 2 cups red lentils, rinsed
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 U sweet onion, diced
- 2 cups acorn squash, peeled and chopped
- 4 cups kale
- salt and pepper
- shopping_cartGet IngredientsinfoNEW!
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.