videocam Slender Kitchen Videos
Slow Cooker Pork Adobado
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- 3 lb lean pork shoulder, all fat trimmed
- 2 U dried ancho chile peppers
- 2 U chipotle peppers in adobo
- 6 U garlic cloves
- 1 U onion, chopped into quarters
- 1 tbsp coriander
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 U bay leaves
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- In a saute pan, toast the dried New Mexico chiles for 3-5 minutes until fragrant and begin to puff up. This brings out their full flavor. Once they cool, remove the seeds and stem.
- Add the chiles to small pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and then let simmer for 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and allow the chiles to rest in the water for 30 minutes.
- Add the chile peppers and 1 cup of their cooking liquid, the chipotles, cumin, coriander, garlic, oregano, and onion to a blender and blend until combined. This creates the adobo sauce.
- Season the pork shoulder with salt and pepper. Pour a small amount of the adobo sauce into the bottom of the slow cooker. Place the pork shoulder on top and pour in the remaining adobo sauce.
- Cook in your slow cooker for 6-8 hours until the pork is fork tender. Pull the pork apart using a fork and mix together with the sauce. Serve on it’s own, over rice, win a sandwich for a spicy pulled pork, or in tacos. Garnish with freshly chopped cilantro.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.