This past week has been a rough one for our house. Between head colds, construction in our building, and work stress there was definitely some long faces. So to soothe both our colds and hearts, I decided to make a big batch of chicken soup. Since we had already had traditional chicken soup earlier in the week, I wanted to make something different and this version with lemon and artichokes was just what the doctor ordered. It comforted both our stomachs and souls for the night and the leftovers tasted even better the next day.
Slow Cooker Low Carb Lemon Chicken Artichoke Soup
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 14 oz. canned artichoke hearts, packed in water, drained (frozen works as well)
- 1 U onion, diced
- 2 U carrots, diced
- 2 U celery ribs, diced
- 3 U garlic cloves, minced
- 1 U bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 3 cups turnips, peeled and cubed (or rutabaga, celeriac)
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
Add everything to the slow cooker except the lemon juice and parsley. Cook on low for 8 hours. Remove chicken and chop or shred and then add back to slow cooker.
Before serving, season with salt and pepper. Stir in the lemon juice and parsley.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.