For a long time I have been a huge fan of A Year of Slow Cooking and her wealth of fabulous and easy slow cooker recipes, but to be honest, I wasn't so sure about this one when I first decided to try it. Chickpeas, black beans, sweet potatoes, honey, lemon, and spices - I wasn't sold but after reading her review and many others, I decided to take the plunge and try it out. And I am so glad I did. I made a few changes to the original using butternut squash instead of sweet potatoes and adding carrots and some paprika. I also left out the cream cheese but you couldn't definitely add a couple of tablespoons when it was finished cooking if you prefer a creamier sauce.
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- 15 oz. canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 15 oz. canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 U red onion, diced
- 2 U carrots, diced
- 2 cups butternut squash, peeled and chopped
- 4 U cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. coriander
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 U lemon, juiced
- 1/4 cup honey (maple syrup for vegan)
- 12 oz. spinach
Add everything to the slow cooker except the spinach. Cook on low for 6 hours.
Add the spinach and stir until it wilts. Season with salt and pepper as needed.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.