A few weeks back, a close friend wasn't feeling so well and I wanted to make her a big pot of soup so she didn't have to worry about making dinner. I wanted to make something that was hearty and nutritious that would leave her satisfied and since she is vegan, I couldn't turn to any of my tried and true slow cooker soup recipes since many contain meat or animal products.
Since she loves butternut squash, I knew I wanted to start there. Then I added dried beans, barley, fire roasted tomatoes, veggies, and some spices to round everything out. It's turns out a bit like a chili but a less spicy. If you wanted a true chili, I would up the chili powder and add some jalapenos or chipotle peppers in adobo suace. If you don't like spice, you could also use Italian seasoning instead. Both versions are packed with flavor and sure to keep you full.
Slow Cooker Butternut Squash, Bean, and Barley Stew
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- 6 cups butternut squash, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup dry kidney beans (or mixed beans)
- 1/2 cup pearl barley
- 28 oz. can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 U onion, chopped
- 1 U green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 U carrots, chopped
- 2 U celery ribs, chopped
- 4 U garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tbsp. chili powder (or Italian seasoning for a non-spicy version)
- 2 tsp. ground cumin (leave out if using Italian seasoning)
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 1 U bay leaf
- Salt and pepper
- shopping_cartGet IngredientsinfoNEW!
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.