videocam Slender Kitchen Videos
Skinny Spicy Mac and Cheese
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- 12 oz high fiber shells (like Ronzoni Smart Taste)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1 U poblano pepper, diced (or more)
- 1 cup skim milk
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups part skim shredded mozzarella (or pepper jack, queso oaxaca, or other cheese)
- Salt and pepper
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
Cook the pasta according to package directions, draining when it is just cooked since it will cook further in the oven.
In a medium sauce pan, melt the butter over low heat. Add the flour and using a whisk create a roux where the flour and butter combine and the mixture turns light brown.
Add the onions and poblano peppers and cook for an additional 5 minutes, stirring frequently to make sure it doesn’t burn.
Add the milk and chicken broth and bring to a slow boil on medium heat.
Turn the heat to low and add the cheese. Whisk constantly until the cheese is completely melted into the sauce. Taste and add salt and pepper until it is well seasoned.
Spray a baking dish with cooking spray and add your pasta. Pour the cheese sauce over the pasta and mix together.
Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until it is bubbling. Turn the oven up to broil and allow to broil for 2-5 minutes to brown the top.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.